Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Leftover files from pool removal?

edited September 2012 in DrivePool

At the end of May, I wanted to increase my WHS storage from 2 to 4 disks.  First I moved my pool drive letter from G: to P: following instructions in a post from the forum.  After putting in the new drives, the drives are now C:/D:, F:, G: and H:.  Client backups are on F: with all server shared folders in the pool (D:, F:, G:, H:).  I then removed F: from the pool (to give max expansion size for client backups).  All went well and seems well now. 

However, there seem to be quite a few remaining files in a PoolPart... folder on F:.  A Music folder has 58 files in 34 folders and a custom shared folder has 314 folders with 1899 files.  I've checked a few files manually (tedious process!) and they seem to be duplicated on two other drives still in the pool.  Questions:

1) Why did this occur?  My error?

2) Any suggestions for an automatic way to verify that all of these files are properly duplicated in the pool?

3) Can I can just delete these files once I know they're safe?

Thanks for any answers,
Don

Comments

• edited September 2012 Resident Guru
    1) Not your fault; I've seen this happen before. It seems to be that Windows occasionally prevents files from being deleted during the drive removal process; DrivePool still puts a copy on the other drives in the pool (so far as my experience goes) but the original is left behind.

2) Perhaps a utility called TreeComp? http://lploeger.home.xs4all.nl/TreeComp.htm - I've found it very handy for comparing pairs of folder trees to check that all the files have been copied across. It can also sync, so if any files were missed you can fix that on the spot (just be very careful to sync in the correct direction!!)

3) Yes. :)

Cheers.