Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Can you run applications and steam and other games from a drivepool?

edited September 2012 in DrivePool
Hiya,

I'm curious to know if you can install DrivePool on a windows 7 gaming rig, and install the Steam folder into the DrivePool letter.

Steam keeps all of its content in one folder so all your steam games have to reside on one "drive".  Once that drive is full you're a bit stuffed.

DrivePool might be a way of dealing with this, rather than munging two physical drives together with other methods like raid 0 etc, you could just add another physical drive to the DrivePool and you're sorted.

Ditto for applications, will applications run oblivous to the fact they are run from a DrivePool virtual drive?

Kind regards,
Mark

Comments

• Drivepool doesn't support Windows 7.

• edited September 2012 Resident Guru
    Re not supporting being installed directly on Windows 7 - not yet, anyway.

Mind you, I'm curious to see if one could install Steam to a mapped WHS pooldrive across the network. I might try that when I get my new/repaired computer back from the shop, since I'll need to reinstall Steam anyway.
  • Thanks for the responses.

How about the same scenario on Windows XP.  Will applications like Microsoft Office, games, and steam all run oblivious to being installed into a DrivePool virtual drive?

Kind regards,
    Mark

• Resident Guru
    The current operating system requirement for DrivePool is Windows Home Server 2011, Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials or Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials.

To quote the developer (emphasis mine): "Yes, both DrivePool and Scanner will be ported to run on Vanilla flavors of Windows later in the yearThey will run on Vista and above. DrivePool will probably only support 64-bit OSesIn terms of the road map, this will happen for DrivePool 2.0."

So it doesn't look like XP will be supported.
  • Thanks Shane, I apologise for not digging deeper and finding this info myself.

Kind regards,
    Mark