Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Possible to partition WHS system disk and to add the non system partition to the pool?

RoxRox
edited October 2012 in DrivePool
Hi,

right now im using WHS v1 but im thinking about upgrading to WHS 2011 and to use DrivePool.
Almost every of my questions was answered by reading this forum or visiting your website but i have one more question.

I'm using an Acer easyStore H341 which has 4 bays. On your website it says you can't add a system disk to the pool. I can understand this and it makes sense but because my space is (right now) limited by the physicall bays i can use, is it possible to partition a 1 TB system disk into two partitions and add the partition which hasn't the system installed on it into the pool?

Kind regards

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Hi Rox, yes, it would be more accurate to say that a disk's system partition cannot be added to the pool. Data partitions can be added just fine.

WHS 2011's default* installation process formats the first** disk as two NTFS partitions: a 60GB system partition for the OS (C: drive, containing Windows, Program Files, etc) and the rest of the drive as a partition for the data (D: drive, containing ServerFolders). The former cannot be part of the pool, the latter can be.

* to change it requires editing a configuration file on the installation CD

** some of us just disconnect all but the disk we want as the boot disk until after the install, just to be sure