Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Duplication Speed?

edited November 2012 in DrivePool
I am just about finished setting up my WHS2011 after migrating from WHSv1, but I have one question...

After finishing the migration, I turned on duplication for several of the shares.  It's been duplicating for at least 4 hours now, but it only shows that 75 GB (Of 4-5 TB) has been duplicated.

Why is it going so slow?  Everything is connected by SATA...  Drives are: 3 TB, 3x2TB, 2x1.5TB, and 1x640GB.  It's showing 6.6 TB free on the pool,  and the smallest amount of free space on any drive is 600 GB (On the 640 GB drive).

At the rate it's going, it will take days (Weeks even?) to duplicate all that data.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• I find that DrivePool will duplicate as fast as the disks are able to, 75GB over 4 hours seems a bit slow but I wouldn't worry too much about it. It took my a weekend to duplicate my 4TB movie share.
  • Resident Guru
    Do you have a very large number of small files, or a lot of fragmentation? Repeated seeks can considerably slow disk operations. Also, have you installed the manufacturer's latest chipset/sata drivers for your particular motherboard and/or controller?

You can dig into actual disk transfer rates etc using the Resource Monitor (on your server, click Start, type Resource Monitor; it is also available via a button on the Performance tab of the Task Manager).
  • Hi,

Thanks for the replies!  The duplication did eventually finish for about 4 TB, but it took several days...  There is a mix of large and small files... Some directories have thousands of small files, while others have lots of 4GB+ MKV files...  So far it seems to be working just fine though!