Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Drive is reporting that it will probably die

edited November 2012 in DrivePool
My SMART utility is saying that a drive "might" die.  (Due to an excessive amount of "pending bad sectors").  I'd like to run the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics Utility before I possibly remove the drive and send it in under warranty.  Can I just run it on the server to test the drive, or is that a bad idea?  I've installed it, and when I run it it tells me to "close any open files or processes on the drive or data loss can result" - can I go ahead, or will this screw up the pool?  Any thoughts?

I don't have enough room to move all the data off the drive right now, or I would.

Comments

• edited November 2012 Resident Guru
    It might be an idea to stop the DrivePool service (Start, Administrative Tools, Services) before running the utility. The pool will become inaccessible until you start the service again.