In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.
The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com
The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.
This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.
Guide: DrivePool Terminology
For newcomers to pool storage, some definitions when discussing DrivePool:
- "pool drive" or "drivepool drive" = "a virtual drive created by DrivePool"
... e.g. "P:"
- "pooled drive" = "a physical drive that forms part of a pool drive"
... e.g. "D:"
- "poolpart folder" = "a hidden root folder in a pooled drive that stores that drive's portion of a pool's content"
... e.g. "D:\PoolPart.GUID"
... n.b. each drive has a different GUID to help DrivePool tell them apart
- "pool folder" = "a folder in a pool drive"
... e.g. "P:\this-folder-is-in-the-pool"
... n.b. the physical storage location for any given "P:\this-folder" is "D:\PoolPart.GUID\this-folder" where "D:" is one or more of the pooled drives
- "non-pool folder" = "a folder not in a pool drive and also not within a poolpart folder of a pooled drive"
... e.g. "D:\this-folder-is-not-in-the-pool"
- "duplicated folder" = "a folder in a pool that is tagged to keep a copy of its contents in (at least) two pooled drives"
... n.b. DrivePool doesn't see duplicates as "original" and "copy", it sees them as "copy" and "copy"
Any questions (or arguments!) about pool terminology, feel free to post them here and I'll reply / update the list accordingly.
Obligatory Disclaimer: I'm a volunteer forum member, I'm not an employee of StableBit - this is strictly my own opinion.