Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Sloved! Backup Errors DrivePool 2.0.0.225 BETA

edited May 2013 in DrivePool
Hi there just would like a little guideness in the correct way the backups should work using drive pool and the inbuilt windows backup feature of windows server 2012 essentials:

I currently have my OS on the C drive and my server folders on pool drive F which is make up of 2 x WD 3TB Reds set to dupclicate (D & E). Let me first say that when i only back up the C drive i get no errors what so ever and everthing is fine.
From my understanding DP can not back up the drive pool, F in my case so i need to back up the actual folders from the drives themself? (i do not want to back up the whole drive) So i tried just adding the user folder (just to test) from drive D to the already working C drive backup and it just sticks at X%, then tried adding the user folder from drive E and it fails so then both user folders (D & E) and it fails juststopping at X%. Am i doing something incorrectly here? what is the correct procedure for backing up any of the server folders from a dublicated hard drive pool in my case?

On a side note i have noticed that any of the files that are in the pool can be searched for? e.g when i search for a music files in my music folder on the hard drive it shows as thoe nothing is there even thoe i can clearly see the file in from of my eyes in the open window.But if that same folder was on the C drive it would see it.

Thanks for any help you can give. Pete.

Comments

• edited March 2013 Resident Guru
    When attempting to back up the contents of the pool, image-based backup systems, and backup systems that make use of shadow copy (such as the built-in Windows Backup feature), should be sourced from the physical disks rather than the pool drive. A two disk pool with full duplication enabled would only require one of the two poolpart folders on the physical disks to be backed up.

However, the backup wizard built into WHS2011 has a hard-coded 2TB limit. If that "feature" also applies to the version in WS2012E, this might explain why it's sticking at X% (anyone with WS2012E who knows whether this is true is welcome to comment). WS2012E does not have WHS2011's 2TB limit.

What are you using as the destination for the backup?

Re search, ensure that the pool drive is added to the list of indexed folders.
  • edited March 2013 Member
    Im using a external 2TB usb2 hard drive with a WD green inside. I have tried just backing up one of the folders ie the User folder and it fails and have tired using either User folder from either drive and it fails but as i said its only when i add anything from the pool its complety fine when just backing up the OS drive as it is set to at the moment.

OK didnt know i needed to add the pool to the list of indexed folders ill give it a go thanks.
  • edited March 2013 Member
  • Resident Guru
    I'd suggest running a chkdsk on the disks in case there's any file system errors halting the backup.
  • When attempting to back up the contents of the pool, image-based backup systems, and backup systems that make use of shadow copy (such as the built-in Windows Backup feature), should be sourced from the physical disks rather than the pool drive. A two disk pool with full duplication enabled would only require one of the two poolpart folders on the physical disks to be backed up.

However, the backup wizard built into WHS2011 has a hard-coded 2TB limit. If that "feature" also applies to the version in WS2012E, this might explain why it's sticking at X% (anyone with WS2012E who knows whether this is true is welcome to comment). WS2012E does not have WHS2011's 2TB limit.

What are you using as the destination for the backup?

Re search, ensure that the pool drive is added to the list of indexed folders.
    Just an update as i have been away, adding the pool drive to the indexing option fixed that issuse as you pointed out thank you very much ;), this also solved why none of the files were showing up in the media section of RWA....Great !.

I have still to mess around to get the server folders backed up via the built in back up. Currently its set to only back up my OS drive and that is working fine and im test using Crash Plan (cloud only for the mo) and it seems to be backing up the pool drive folders ok..........Will update once i try again.
  • Hi

Still getting no where fast. All disks check out to be fine. The problem only shows up when I try adding any file/folder from either of the drives that make up the pool or I have even tried using the same file from the actual pool still no luck. It's stumped me????
  • Covecube
    vwsplitty: have you run chkdsk on the drive? And if you have, have you run chkdsk x: /r /f (where x: is the drive letter, or path)?  the "/r" option is a lot more indepth scanning and may other issues that may be preventing the indexing.

Also, it may be a "VSS" error that is preventing it from backing up... but usually that would fail outright, instead of partway.
  • Right sorry for the delay but finally got to the bottom of it. It turns out that having volume shadow copy turned on for the OS drive was causing and error when adding any files from the pool drive (either of the drives that made up that pool) that didn't have it turned on as it woukd work with it anyway. So I turned off the volume shadow copy for the OS drive then added all the folders I wanted from one of the hard drives in the pool then run a backup and everything worked.
    So just to confirm I have windows server 2012 essentials backup working with drivepool and the OS drive.
    One strange think I did note was when I was testing the backup with the os drive and another drive not in the pool that shadow copies had been enabled o this drive but when I tired to disable volume shadow copies after some testing it would just hang, the only way I could disable it was by deleting each saved shadow copy then once it got to none I could disable it.
    Just like to say thanks for your input guys