Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

DrivePool 2.0.0.220 BETA Crash?

edited April 2013 in DrivePool
I've upgraded the latest beta on my test Windows Server 2012 Essentials machine and I believe is causing WSE to crash when accessing my videos directory using Media Center Master.

I have a sampling of DVD and Blu-ray rips in my Videos folder stored in the DP Pool.  If I connect Media Center Master to that directory it causes Windows to crash.

Media Center Master is Version 2.05, build 7813.910, Released 3/19/2013 3:10:00 PM.

Not sure if it's DP or not, but this workd fine with the previous Beta version of DP 2.0.

Here are my crash reports.  

Anyone else having this problem?  Anything I should be looking at?

Thanks

Ken

On Sun 3/31/2013 8:00:02 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\033113-24757-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7A040) 
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x11C1, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA800BD221E0)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Hi Ken, if noone is able to help here on the user forums, I suggest sending this to StableBit as a bug report via http://stablebit.com/contact
  • Thanks Shane, I just submitted a bug report.
  • edited April 2013 Member
    Ken, I am experiencing crashes as well when I access my share in the way of scanning my music library, playing music via XBMC, tranferring files, etc. So you are not alone. I am using the latest version of the beta.
  • Using the beta as well and experiencing frequent crashes/reboots, mostly on occasions when there is greater than average disk activity going on. Nothing has changed with my system except a clean install from WHS 2011 to WSE 2012, at which time I first began using the DP beta. I will file a bug report as well.
  • Sounds like what I was experiencing as well.  High access volume to the pool caused crashes and reboots.  New system is brand new hardware with fresh install of WSE 2012 as a VM on ESXi 5.1.  I am using the IBM M1015 controllers to Hitachi and Seagate drives.  

I've uninstalled DP 2.0 Beta and it's now stable as a rock.  Will try DP later if the issue gets resolved.

Ken
  • Covecube
    For those experiencing issues, would you mind submitting inquiries to "http://www.stablebit.com/Contact" and following the process detailed here: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Crashes

Also, I can't say for certain, but uninstalling updates "KB2808735" and "KB2813170" from windows update seems to have helped on my system.
  • edited April 2013 Member
    Already submitted awhile ago.  Thanks for the tip on the updates.

Update - These 2 updates were applied were applied after the crashes started on my machine.  Not the cause of my problem.
  • What's the latest on this crashing issue? Has it been looked at/resolved?
  • Covecube
    yeah, most everyone experiencing the crash, the crash is being caused by "srv2.sys", which is the SMB (windows file sharing) driver filter. Which means it is not related to drivePool, unfortunately. Rather, it is a bad update that Microsoft pushed via Windows Update. And to compound the issue, Microsoft hasn't released any real word about which update it was, but has quietly pulled the affected updates and pushed a fixed version.  So identifying which update caused the issue is nearly impossible.

That basically means, you'll have to Windows Backup, Windows Server Backup (or whatever backup solution) to roll back before the crashes started, and the bad update was installed.  Or try uninstalling every update for the last couple of months. Or bite the bullet and re-install.

And I know this is a crappy solution. Trust me, I do. I had the same issue. And was able to reliably reproduce the issue.  It would happen on non-pooled shares too. But DrivePool seems to have caused it to happen quicker.  I rolled back to April 10th, and it fixed the issue for me. But some of you, you'd want to back farther.