Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Different Settings for Different pools

edited April 2013 in DrivePool
Hello, I'm setting up a new pool, second pool, I would like the duplication settings to be different than the other pool, i.e. Pool 1 duplicated folders immediately, pool 2 duplicate folders later.   From what I can see the setting are not unique to each pool, but apply to both, just want to confirm.

Just some back ground, on the issue I'm trying to resolve. 

I have a laptop HDD, and it's super slow 5200 RPM I believe, I use it for my Recorded TV archive in my whs 2011, MCE will immediately archive recorded shows to the server, and if I watch a file from the server while the archive is in process (simultaneous read/writes) to the drive,  any attempt to fast forward of jump ahead 30 seconds, its quite annoyingly slow. 

I was given the exact same annoyingly slow drive by a coworker, so I was going to pool the two drives, duplicate the Recorded TV folder, so that if watching something from the previous day that has already been duplicate, I'm hoping that my read performance increases while the new archive is only written to one of the drives.

worst case, I buy a new HGST 7200 RPM 1TB 2.5" drives.  This is not a huge issue, just trying to make use of my existing hardware.

but I think having unique settings for each pool in general would be useful,

Comments

• edited April 2013 Member

well, I changed my duplication settings to later, while its not ideal for both pools, just needed to test my setup,  I'm now able to use the two slow a$$ drives as intended (essentially a raid 1 with delay for new data),  for duplicated data, I am no longer having the sluggish performance, as data is being read from two drives, while the archive service is only writing to one of the two drives. 

feature request - unique settings for each drive would be fantastic.

• edited April 2013 Resident Guru
    Hi, I'm not sure when it was added, but this feature seems to be present in the latest DrivePool v2.0.0.225 BETA. If you don't need Dashboard integration and don't mind using a beta release, you could use it instead of the 1.3 tree.
  • thanks Shane, I'm training my wife to deal with the duplication changes, I'll see if it shows up in the next rev or two of the WHS version, I like the dashboard integration, I'll give it some time, I'm very patient,