Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Moving to Final Version

edited October 2011 in DrivePool

Hi and i want to say Great Job with DP Software.

I've been using it for 3 weeks now in a test whs 2011 server with no problems. I am currently on version 1.0.0.4056 BETA M3 and as i see it expires on 31/10/2011. I am planning to install it on my Production Server, so my questions are these:

- Will there be an extension to the expiry date?

- Moving from M3 to M4 when it comes out will it be as simple as it is now updating M3 Builds and my pool be recognized as configured now?

- Buying and moving to Final Release from M4 when it comes out will again my pool be recognized as configured now or whould i have to Reconfigure / Rebuilt it?

Thanks In Advance

Comments

• edited October 2011 Resident Guru
    Hi akaz. While I'm not covecube, given what Alex's said in the past I'd be very surprised if the answers were anything other than yes (beta extension), yes (M3 to M4 recognized) and yes (M4 to Release recognized).

• Thanks Shane, i've followed what Alex said in the past, and i couldn't agree with you more.

The only reason i ask is because i am moving from whs v1 to whs 2011 and if i am to move all the data (more than 10tb) i wouldn't want to go through that again after M4 or Final version is released, or not being able to write to the pool if its expired. I love this software and i am going to buy it when it comes out but i want to start using whs 2011 as my main server now. Without drive pooling i cannot do that so i am trying to be sure that the questions i ask above are answered to my satisfaction.

• edaeda
    For what it's worth, akaz, I'm in a similar boat.  I've been running both WHS v1 and WHS 2011 on separate machines for some time.  v1 remains my primary machine, though it runs somewhat unreliably and has to be restarted about once a week.  The 2011 machine, with DrivePool, actually seems much more reliable (I am running 4059 but have not yet tested Fast I/O or Read striping).

All that being said, I can't quite get myself to make the jump to making the 2011 machine the primary server while the beta for DrivePool is still active.  I have considered making 2011 the primary, and then using the V1 machine as a peer backup using CrashPlan, but that will require some advanced planning and a fair amount of time, and if the 2011 machine ever loses data because of the beta, all that would have to be undone, requiring more time.  So I continue to delay, hoping that M4 and eventually a gold release makes its way here soon.

We're cheering for you Alex!
  • I have yet to move the WHS 2011. I have the s/w & h/w but was waiting for the DE replacement.  DrivePool looks the best candidate but I am worried about all the issues that suddenly arose going to M3.5.  I would rather wait until M4 is out - maybe even RC1.  So a roadmap with approximate dates would be very useful (and I know that unexpected issues can make it slip so I won't hold anyone to it - honest!).

Anyone know what the approximate cost of this Add-In will be?