Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

ETA on getting to M4?

edited October 2011 in DrivePool
How close are we to getting to Milestone 4?

Comments

• Covecube
    There are a number of things that need to be put in, and right now we're building the pieces required for the M4 pool part runtime. The pieces are being put into the current M3 builds as they're ready. But it won't reach its full potential until the main switch is flipped and the dependency on the old code goes away.

I hate giving dates because they tend to give people a false sense of expectation. I've given dates in the past and they did not pan out.

I can tell you that we have overcome 2 major hurdles already and have one more to go. Plus, much of the miscellaneous support code is also in. I would say that we're 75% of the way through.

The M4 pool part runtime is not the only change in M4, there will be other changes that address client computer backups reliability, moving folders and the dreaded "cannot list WHS folders" error.

So while I can't give you an exact date I can give you a promise of forward progress and constant updates.

We're not looking at another year of development, but a few months probably.
  • Good to know, thanks for keeping us informed.
  • Hello Alex,

Can you please tell me if there will be a direct upgrade from M3 to M4?  What I'm most concerned with is not exposing a pool of data to possible destruction in order to move to the M4 build.  Since I will be utilizing duplication on a pool of fourteen 2TB drives, I can't afford to have the pool fail during a conversion from M3 to M4.  Any insight you can offer would be much appreciated.  Thanks.  TheBeagle

• Resident Guru
    Hi TheBeagle, please see Alex's comment in this thread, http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/comment/1275#Comment_1275

TLDR: yes, direct upgrade, all the way to release actually.

Additional info: all pools are standard Windows folders and files, independent of DrivePool software. This was a deliberate design decision by Alex. Two big benefits are that changes to DrivePool don't require rewriting the contents of pools - i.e. our files don't get touched during an update - and that we can access our files directly if we need to, even if all trace of the DrivePool software was somehow magically erased from existence. :)

This isn't to say corruption is impossible - it's BETA software after all - but by design it should make it highly unlikely to affect existing files. Once we hit Stable, I'd be far more worried about simultaneous drive failure than DrivePool updates (and I speak from personal experience of the Seagate firmware screwup).
  • edited October 2011 Resident Guru
    P.S. Duplication is not backup. ;)