Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Slow file transfers

edited December 2011 in DrivePool

This is my first time using Stablebit Drivepool M3.

I configured all my shares and enabled duplication on all shares. I currently have 2 disks (2TB each), but have 2 more disks (2TB each) lying here which I intend to add soon.

I'm trying to copy about 2TB of data from my desktop computer to the server. I noticed the slow transfers on my gigabit network, about 14MB/s (=112Mbit/s). While some might not call that slow, I am used to other speeds and waiting 24 hours to copy files isn't going to cut it for me.

I then decided to move one of my shares back (out of stablebit drivepool) and without duplication. I am now copying from the same computer at an average of 70MB/s (=560Mbit/s)!

I'm just going to copy everything like this and then move the share back to the pool and let DrivePool move everything around. I expect it should be done overnight.

My question - is this going to be improved upon in M4? What is the exact cause for this huge speed reduction? And also, is my solution going to speed things up, or will it take just as long in the end?

Thanks for this wonderful piece of software, and I too am willing to pay $40 for this when it's perfect.

SeBsZ

Comments

• Hi Sebsz, go into the stablebit drivepool settings in the dashboard and enable all of the direct file i/o and fast i/o options and try again. If they were unticked you will see a large speed increase.

• edited December 2011 Member
    If you're using one of the nightly builds, you're performance should be better.  I second hopester's recommendation to enable some of the optional performance features.  Performance should improve in M4.
  • Hi,

Yes I didn't have the direct and fast i/o options on. My speed is now about 54MB/s which is more than acceptable!

Thank you

• I didn't know where to find the nightly builds. Are these in any way recommended to use? Are they as stable as the m3 which I am using?
  • Resident Guru
    I'm a little confused myself. What nightly builds?
  • I take it these options for performance features were removed since December?  I'm trying to copy about 15TB of data to a new pool but my copy speeds are less than half of what they were when I was copying them to my now removed drivebender pool.  I found this while searching but I have no options as listed above, so I assume they were removed?

Thanks

J

• Resident Guru
    yes it was