Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Tour of DrivePool M4

2»

Comments

• Covecube
    "M3 will never be 100% perfect"

Indexing, corrupted databases, file duplication problems are exactly the types of things that I was thinking of when deciding on what to do for M4.

I would also add permission issues to that list. This has somewhat of a problem in M3.
  • I used Dokan for my Master's Degree Keystone Project, and I have to say I'm shocked that you were ever able to get it working at all, let alone as well as it does in M3!

Will the drive letter present as a true drive? I imagine if you could
    get that working that we could use the native WHS share screen to manage
    the shares right? I mean everything WHS supports will be automatically
    supported if WHS thinks it sees one huge drive. It's ignorant to what's
    going on at the FS layer.

I love M3, and I can't wait to see what M4 will bring. How will the transition work?
  • edited January 2012 Covecube
    I used Dokan for my Master's Degree Keystone Project, and I have to say I'm shocked that you were ever able to get it working at all, let alone as well as it does in M3!

Will the drive letter present as a true drive? I imagine if you could
    get that working that we could use the native WHS share screen to manage
    the shares right? I mean everything WHS supports will be automatically
    supported if WHS thinks it sees one huge drive. It's ignorant to what's
    going on at the FS layer.

I love M3, and I can't wait to see what M4 will bring. How will the transition work?
    Yes. I was as shocked as you were :) But after a marathon of bug fixing, the first BETA was released earlier in 2011 and it worked well enough to demonstrate the concept reliably. It took a lot of tweaking / fixing. But that will soon all be behind us.

DirvePool M4 runs a file system on top of a true virtual storage stack. It utilized a separate driver to emulate the virtual drive with full PnP / Power support.

So yes, it looks like a real drive to Windows and you can use all the standard WHS UIs to work with it.