Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Drivepool M4 - Bluescreen

edited January 2012 in DrivePool
Hi Alex,

Submitted a Memory Dump earlier for the bluescreen that happened while installing build 5387 on my WSS.

Tried removing Drivepool from the server after this, console reports it is successfully uninstalled (Instantly?) But it persists in the Dashboard despite reboots.

Is there a way to remove it to get drivepool working again?

Comments

• Same problem here... Crashed server while installing  (headless system, so I didn´t see a BSOD). It said the installation failed. When trying to reinstall the installer says the plugin is already installed. The drivepool Tab is there but it wont connect to the service. When uninstalling it says successfull uninstall but it stays in the installed addin list and the Tab is still there. Any information you need for debugging?
  • There is no entry in the installed programs list on the WHS Server.
  • Provided the logs... Crash dump is uploading right now
  • Similar problems,blue screen on install and then after trying to reinstall get the add-in cannot be installed on the server. Cant help with a crashdump as the remote pc is on a slow connection.

I even tried clearing all the stabitbit files and anything in the registry and still could not get it installed after the crash. Tried an old version again and it installed fine, new again and blue screen again.
  • Same here. Crashed. Very difficult to uninstall, unsuccessful. Had to reinstall Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials.
  • Same here blue screen and get message can't be installed
  • Covecube
    I'm working these out as the dumps are coming in.

The easiest way to disable DrivePool on a headless unit is to connect the drive to another machine and rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\covefs.sys to something else like covefs.sys.disabled. Or just delete it, that won't impact the uninstaller.

It's pretty solid over here. Hopefully we can get these nasties resolved quickly.
  • Covecube
    I've pushed out 5401 to address all the dumps that came in before yesterday.

Download:

I'll be fixing anything else that comes in via. the box dump upload widget on the wiki.
  • No crashing with the new build, but no installing either. The installer fails, I updated the support ticket with the details.
  • Installer still fails probably due to the crash leaving the failed install in limbo. We might need an uninstaller that clears up the registry and files.
  • Yup fails for me to with cannot install on server. Uninstaller is a great idea
  • I have sent the logs of the installer to Alex, I am sure he will be able to fix it.
  • Looks like I am having the same problem. My initial install succeeded but it broke Dashboard. After a lot of tinkering I got M4 uninstalled and M3 reinstalled. However any attempt to upgrade fails. Looking in the drivers folder I see covewhsfs.sys and not covefs.sys.
  • Covecube
    There are still some issues in 5401 causing blue screens. A new build is in testing right now.
  • Covecube
    Seems like the WHS installer can get confused.

I was thinking of writing a separate uninstaller, but some issues are more important.

For now you can follow the guidelines I posted here on uninstalling:

• Covecube
    About the installation issues,

A number of people seem to be having trouble upgrading.

I just ran a small test scenario manually:

• Started with a working M3 machine pre-populated with data.
    • Installed 5380.
    • Opened Dashboard and performed Migration. Confirmed data was migrated properly.
    • Installed 5387.
    • Rebooted server.
    • Confirmed working.
    • Installed 5401.
    • Rebooted server.
    • Confirmed working.
    • Installed 5407 (coming soon)
    • Rebooted server.
    • Confirmed working.

Everything went as expected, so I'm at a loss to explain the problems. If anyone has any clues as to why their installers are failing, let me know.
  • There needs to be an uninstaller!  There are just too many places to keep cleaning up after every attempt to reinstall.  I did not even know about the device manager items.  Please there has to be an easier way to do this.  I have tried everything I can find and I keep getting the error "this add-in can not be installed on the server" .  Before it was only with M4 but now any M3 version errors out on install no matter what I try.  I am thinking there are bit scattered around that I don't know about.  Alex since you know all of these places I was hoping you could just make one up so the few of us having trouble might have a chance at a clean slate.
  • I originally downloaded M3 to a pooled drive and ran the install from there. That is the only thing I can think of that may not have been tested in your cases.
  • I think some of the problem are the covecube registries that are still there.  I tried deleting them and I keep getting errors.  It I uninstalled it from device manager but looks like it did not take it all the way out.
  • edited January 2012 Member
    I've been getting this problem as well . My first install attempt bluescreened, and all subsequent attempts hit the installer error message. I suspect that the first attempt left things in an inconsistent state. There is still stuff in the registry which I can't delete (requires system permission) - I'm loathe to start hacking away at it anyway. I agree that an uninstaller would be very useful, or if not some further advice on how to do a clean up prior to a reinstall attempt.

I also found some weird events in the event log, about not being able to start the "Nothing Service".  In the registry, I found the Nothing service and it referred to system32\DRIVERS\covefs_disk.sys. 

Fortunately I've been able to revert back to M3 (4133 reinstalled without a hitch). I guess I may be waiting a little while longer for an M4 drop that works on my rig.
  • edited January 2012 Member
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553 Download and extract to a system folder. I put it in c:\windows. Then open a command prompt. Type in psexec -s -i regedit. This will open regedit as SYSTEM. Then you can delete those entries that you couldn't before.
  • I agree the problems have something to do with the original botched install. But I searched and deleted all registry entries that contained stablebit, drivepool, and covefs. I also did the same three search for files and deleted those. I also ensured nothing was in device manager. So if it left something somewhere I'd like to know how.
  • My server is only about 1 week into a fresh install of the OS and Drivepool M3 4133 with a few backups of clients and the server done. I have been running M3 without difficulty. I installed M4 5401 earlier today and didn't know that it gave a BSOD because I was doing the install from a remote desktop. When the server restarted, Drivepool could not connect to the service and no pool was present. I could not uninstall or access any files on my server except those on the system drive. I did a full restore from backup and everything was back to normal M3 Drivepool. I just tried installing 5417 but this time with a monitor, keyboard, mouse connected. When it neared the end of the installation a BSOD came up. I have again restored the system drive and it is running smoothly again.

Any ideas how I can get this to install? I can't even complete an install so that I can do a migration.

Chris

• About the installation issues,
    A number of people seem to be having trouble upgrading.
    I just ran a small test scenario manually:
    Started with a working M3 machine pre-populated with data.Installed 5380.Opened Dashboard and performed Migration. Confirmed data was migrated properly.Installed 5387.Rebooted server.Confirmed working.Installed 5401.Rebooted server.Confirmed working.Installed 5407 (coming soon)Rebooted server.Confirmed working.
    Everything went as expected, so I'm at a loss to explain the problems. If anyone has any clues as to why their installers are failing, let me know.

Alex... This is a total long shot after a 12 hour shift at work and a very large Whiskey...I decided to run through the exact same process that you did. However you mention build 5380 and 5387... Having looked through the version history, i see no available downloads for these versions. I was just wondering if there is anything that requires either/both of these builds to be present to allow further builds to be succesfully installed? I too get the "add-in cannot be installed" jumping to M3 to any M4 build (5400 onwards.)

Would it be worthwhile for you to check a direct upgrade from M3 to a later build than the ones u mention in your upgrade path? Anyways, will stick with M3 in the meantime... Time for sleep

• Alex,

I upgraded directly from M3 (4133?) to 5401 missed the download for 5387.

Have tried the uninstall instructions you gave however the addin still fails to install
  • Build 5421 fixed the BSOD issue for me. Installed without problems last night.

• Finally got it to install!  I used VanillaXtract's link to access regedit with special permissions.  Deleted ALL entries with covefs in them mainly the scsi registries.  Restarted and installed 5421 with no problems at all.  So a nifty little uninstaller to remove these reg setting would take care of the problem I think.
  • Removing the registry entries with SYSTEM priviliges seems to have done the magic. Testing now...
  • Covecube
    Perhaps I can turn this into some code that can go into the installer.
  • That would most likely work.  For me I had to remove the SCSI settings that had covesf in them and tried after removing each one.  I had 2 of them and after the second one was remove and the computer restarted it worked.  I had to restart the computer after I removed them so I am not sure if you could put that in an installer or not.  You would know a lot better than me.