Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Boxee Box and DrivePool shares not working

Comments

• Doh!! I really didn't want to read that... Anyone else observe the same? I'm not really willing to upgrade if it knocks my media out. Boxee must live on in peave with DrivePool.

Alex, any insight to what could be culprit? Did anything change with smb access/handling?

• Man I need this to work. I have m3 and it shows the share but it is limiting the list of files, it is not listing the whole directory.

Does drivebender handle this ok?

Alex...please fix this,
  • edited January 2012 Covecube
    I'll test M4 with boxee.
  • edited January 2012 Member
    I am having the same problem with a Dune player and also a Control4 system.

All my windows PCs work perfectly but the Dune and C4 are only seeing some of the files. When I use the Dune player to browse the shared folder all the sub-folders are there but some are full of data and others are empty.

Before migrating I transferred some more disks and files into the pool.  Not entirely sure but appears that all the files that were originally in the pool are still available but the new files are not. 

The common thread here is that Dune, Boxxee and c4 are all linux systems?
  • I'm an upgrade fanatic and always run the latest (beta) firmware on my Boxee. Both with M3 and the new M4 I have NO problems with playing via SMB shares.

The Boxee is connected via WiFi and all my video files are in the pool. I've set default SMB user under settings \ network on the Boxee to be the administrator user on the server. Also I specify WORKGROUP as name of workgroup/domain. 
  • @paaland

My boxee works fine with fast directory.  the problem lies in that not all the files and folders are there.  THe listing stops at "p" with about 400 files.

How many files are in your share?  I bet it is quite less and thats why all looks fine to you.

@stsmith5150

You might be correct. I have no folders with more than about 100 files in them. I tend to put all media in separate folders. But in total I have over 900 files in the share. I remember reading somewhere on the Boxee forum that it's recommended to put each separate movie in a separate folder with the same name as the movie. 
  • I'm assuming that now that M4 exposes the pool as a drive, you can simply install NFS services and point it to the pool drive? Has anyone tried that?
    I've gotten a hold of the Boxee box hardware and am working intimately with it to get to the bottom of this.

I suspect a subtle difference in how linux expects directories to be listed.
  • That's great Alex. I assume once you figure it out with boxee all the other media players will work.

One more note the share that I am using is full of about 500 folders or so and is only partially listing them. Let me know if you need any more info.
  • Just a heads up that I also see this partial listing behaviour from my Mac running OSX Lion. I haven't confirmed every single one, but I think that the partial list that the mac sees is the same partial list seen by my boxee box. Only the server itself sees the full list of folders (they are definitely there!)

On M3, the Mac could see the full directory listing with fast directory listing turned off, but then the boxee box saw nothing at all, so I was using it turned on and living with the partial listing on both for now.
  • Covecube
    I believe that I have a handle on what's causing this.

DrivePool M4 (and the old fast directory listing), as an optimization, essentially can say to the caller, "I don't have any directories for you this time, but ask again".

I suspect that linux / Mac take that as "there are no more directories available, we're done"
  • Why a partial listing on boxee when fast directory is turned off?
  • Alex...when do you think this will be fixed? Or is it already fixed in the StableBit.DrivePool_1.0.0.5401_BETA version?

I am ready to upgrade and am very excited  ;-)

• FYI

I installed the above version and my boxee can see the share.  It is still a partial listing but it is more than what was in M3.  M3 only went to P's and now M4 sees up to R's.  The share includes 515 folders.

• I'm experiencing the same thing as you stsmith5150. 
  • Covecube
    @wraptor: M4 only knows how to do fast listings.

This is not fixed yet. There are a few more important issues to deal with (blue screen on boot). But it's next on the list.

If you haven't upgraded yet and want to avoid the teething issues, so to speak, wait 1 to 2 weeks. It should be much more stable by then.
    I've been thinking about the boxee issue a bit more while playing around with the boxee that I have... and I've come up with an experimental version.

Can someone who is experiencing this issue grab this experimental build and let me know if the folder listing behavior changes:

Download:

This is an experimental build that alters the directory listing algorithm to use much larger buffers.

Let me know if things are better / worse / no change.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you should reboot the server after installing before the changes will take effect.
  • I just did a quick test.

No luck. I still can't see the files on my NeoTV.

Actually it seems do be worse. It won't even try to scan the shares.

plus I have some duplication warnings at the moment (without any duplication on)

• It seems to be worse for me too, although have only tested using the Mac. I can still see some of the folders, but the listing is now missing even more than before.

Folder in Share: 500

Build 5401: ~230 visible from Mac and Boxee Box

Build 5408: ~100 visible from Mac

I believe I've fixed it. The problem was not what I thought it was.

Download:

Let me know if it still has problems.

If this fixes it, I'll send this build through testing and post it up.

Don't forget to reboot after updating.
  • Hi,

I dont have a boxee box i use AcRyan just tryed the new update it still won't list all the files i belive it has something to do with the fast file listing as when i switch it off under M3 it works fine switch it on same problem as M4 plus switching fast file off fixed my client backup problems under M3

• Been reading this post and it sounds like the Error 2 under XBMC which is what I'm getting on my ATV2.

Still lost all the shares on reboot but once recreated I can report that 5410 has fixed this for me. Thanks

Great work BTW!!

• Ok I have some weird behavior. Using boxee and was having the half list problem. I updated to beta 5410. My setup is 8TB's pooled which has 3 directories. HD, SD, & Unsorted. Everything under SD lists fine (657 folders). Everything under Unsorted lists fine (47 folders). Under HD everything does list (554 folders) but there are double, triple, and quadruple listings of folders. It's seems to be random what gets duplicated. I would say only 30-40% of the folders are duplicated the rest are correct single listings. I can go into any of the duplicated folders and the file plays fine. Any thoughts? 
  • Covecube
    I would say only 30-40% of the folders are duplicated the rest are correct single listings. I can go into any of the duplicated folders and the file plays fine. Any thoughts? 
    Duplicate folders sounds like a different issue. Will fix it.

5410 should not have missing folders.
  • Closer...but still not there.

Of my 500 folders, 5410 now lists about 350 from my Mac and again about the same from my Boxee Box. On one occasion having listed about 350, it jumped up to about 375, but then they disappeared again...
  • I did a quick test (NeoTV 550).

I can now see some files.

The scan showes 201 movies (I think the last time it were 227).

I copied 5 more over. still only 201 showing.

I've done a further test. Totally uninstalling drivepool (including cleaning out the folders in program data etc) then reinstalling and trying again has got me much closer. The first time I opened the folder (again on my Mac) I got 494 of my 500 folders.

However, I've now noticed that the number can that are visible changes sometimes - after closing the folder and disconnecting from the server, then reconnecting I got 489 folders show up in the directory listing. No other changes and only a minute or so between attempts. 

Nonetheless, 490 odd is a massive improvement over what I had before, so would suggest people try following the steps here: http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/comment/1612#Comment_1612 and see if that improves the listing on this new version.

EDIT: In fact having rebooted my Mac, I now seem to be fairly consistently getting the full 500 available, only occasionally does it drop down to a few below. That reinstall seems to have made a massive difference so doubly recommend it and will now go and try on my boxee box too.
  • Alex

That is better but the funny thing is that from a-m I am missing some. Although when boxee scans for the movies it shows them in movies with the thumbnail.

Something is still off
  • Ok now its showing more and they are duplicated when I get to mid t's