Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

M4 Randomly Freezing

edaeda
edited January 2012 in DrivePool
I've been quite pleased with WHS 2011 and had been running M3 4133 for some time with great reliability.  I've recently upgraded to M4, and more recently to 5421.  I like what I see so far.  However, since installing M4, I've been getting random system freezes.  Not continuously, but probably 2-3 times a day.  I'm not sure why it happens because once the system freezes, I can't get access to it at all--no response.

I'm monitoring memory levels to see if there's a memory leak, and it does appear that the Dashboard memory climbs some (maybe 10MB in 30 minutes), but I don't always have the Dashboard running when the system freezes.  Overall memory seems to be at about 1.5GB of the 4GB I have installed.

Freezes have occurred during backups, and have also occurred during video streaming (note that backups and movie streaming both interact with folders that are in the pool but neither is duplicated).  But often backups work fine and often streaming works fine.  

Freezing requires a hard reset to get the system going again.

Is anyone seeing the same thing?  Any ideas on how I can track down the cause?

Comments

• Had the same issue, but fixed it by uninstalling Drivepool, reboot, remove all covefs references from the registry (see: 
    http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/342/drivepool-m4-bluescreen), reboot, install Drivepool.
  • edaeda
    Thanks, JameSoft.  I think I discovered the problem which perhaps was a little different.  I am running iTunes as a service (using JTunes).  I had not yet changed the data pointers in iTunes to point to the D: drive.  I'm not sure why that would have created a problem, but it may have been iTunes that was causing the problem.  Call it a migration issue.  Now with DrivePool 5449 running, and iTunes running as a service with the right pointers, I've now run two full days without a crash.  Backups have also been occurring without error, and streaming is working as well.  It is looking VERY good.  If that changes, I'll report it, but now DrivePool looks rock solid.