Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Understanding Shared Folder Backups

edited January 2012 in DrivePool

I have just moved to WHS 2011 after waiting for the M4 build of DrivePool to become available and think that it is a fantastic add-in, and much more flexible than Drive Extender. So, now I want to backup my shared folders to another drive and just have a few questions about how to do this correctly.

When I go through the WHS 2011 backup process, I get to the point where I am asked to select the folders that I wish to backup and am shown all of the physical drives that make up the pool. By definition this means that there are duplicated copies of some of the folders on multiple drives.

Do I have to go through all of the drives and select just one of each of the folders I want making sure that I get a combination of them all, and what happens if one is a duplicate copy rather than an original, and is moved when a pool rebalance occurs? Can I just select all of the pooled drives and WHS back will realise that some of the folders are duplicates and not backup those or will I end up with two copies of my duplicated folders on my backup drive?

Finally, is it expected that DrivePool will eventually be able to present the pool to the WHS backup process so that I can just select folders from that rather than having to trawl through each constituent drive from the pool?

Cheers!

Comments

• That's a good question, I noticed the pool drive was not in the backup options as well. I don't think there is any reason to backup the pool though IMO. That it what the duplication is for. I just use the server backup to do just that, back up my server OS drive and that's it. You could also use it to backup your client computer backup, but I also deemed that an unnecessary use of space IMO.
  • edited January 2012 Member

There are a few reasons why you might want to do this.

It allows you to backup all of your very important stuff to a single (caddy or external) drive so that in the event of a hardware failure (processor, motherboard, disk controller) you can easily pull that drive and know it has everything you need on it, without having to go through several drives in the pool one by one to find it all.

Furthermore, you can swap that backup drive every so often for another that you keep offsite so in the event of an external event that destroys your whole server, you have a backup that is only a little out of date from your server.

It would just be useful to know how the WHS backup system works with DrivePool so that I can backup my shares correctly without copying the duplicates, and if there is an update in the pipeline that allows the WHS backup process to 'see' the pooled disk.

Cheers.

• I cannot check on my own system at present but if my memory serves correctly, the backup wizard shows the drives as well as the shares. To make certain that you only backup one copy of, for example a movie, rather than both copies, select the share as the backup source not the drive letter.

Dave

• TheMoog,

You could also just use Crashplan to backup to another server (yours or friends) or Crashplan's servers to avoid this problem. You likely only have so much stuff that you would be lost without if a fire were to destroy it. The rest you could always reload and get back if you had to. It would be good to know what drives or folders to backup though.