Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Server backup errors after 5635

edited February 2012 in DrivePool
Since installing build 5635 I've not been able to perform one single successful server backup. It fails on all drives with the following error:

Dashboard:
The shared protection point operation failed with error 0x81000101. View the event log for more information.

Event log:
The backup operation that started at '?2012?-?02?-?03T22:00:08.524000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy 
Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348001'. 
Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{bdf24259-32b7-11e1-93b8-806e6f6e6963} - 
0000000000000148,0x0053c008,0000000000301860,0,0000000000302870,4096,[0]).  hr = 0x80070079, The semaphore timeout period has expired.

I only backup System reserved, Operating System and a single non-pooled share (i.e. no pooldrive or pooled share). This have never been a problem before. Have tried rebooting as well as deleting and re-creating the server backup schedule.

Comments

• Do you by any chance have grid junction installed?  It has expired for me and I had the same error until I uninstalled the add-in
  • I have exact the same problem (and the same error messages) - There is no chance to perform any backup of the server, I have tried a lot of different settings.

StableBit is the only Add-In that I have installed.
  • @toddupton
    No I don't use gridjunction. Server backups have been working fine two times a day up to the reboot after installing build 5635. I've sent a message to Alex and I hope he can work this out. I've already had to reinstall WHS once because of a bad OS disk (and bad server backup) so I'm a bit peculiar about working server backups.
  • The strangest thing. After having failed on every server backup two times a day for several days suddenly it started working again today. Without having done anything to the server the backup suddenly succeeded. Time will show if this is a continuing trend.
  • I have seen the same behavior on my system. Unfortunately the backup has begun to fail again - Will be interesting to see if the same thing will happen to you.
  • there seems to be a known bug in the shadow copies with hyper-v. i think you are not using hyper-v. are you using any other virtual machine software?

try to disable shadow copies on all drives, then reenable them. you can use that on remote desktop in the volume properties.

one solution i've found in technet:

Resolution:

- Run regedit.exe and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SPP"

- Create a new Registry value of type DWORD with name "CreateTimeout"

- Change value to 12000000(2*10*60*1000 = 20 mins) in decimal

http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2011/08/01/windows-server-backup-failed-to-backup-with-error-0x81000101.aspx

perhaps it helps.

• edited February 2012 Member

Yep same error here... Server backup no longer works.Having used Acronis sucessfully for a client  restore, i may look into the options for using similar for my server backups... Anyone had any experience of using 3rd party stuff for server backup?

mmmm... Just as an edit. I just made the registry edit having noted the user comments on the Technet link provided. A user claims that Microsoft got their maths wrong.. The value should be 1200000 not 12000000. And whatdya know... Server backup is now running. Will monitor this over the next few days! 

I'm using Acronis Truei Image Home 2012 with Nonstop backup for the system Drive. NonStop backup is not working with more then 300GB of Data.

My shared Folders i'm syncing with PureSync to a backup harddrive. Thats working faster and better then the integrated backup.
  • With the update 5677 the problem seems to be fixed. At least on my machine the Server Backup is working again!

Thank you Alex.