Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Shadow Copies error?

edited February 2012 in DrivePool
So far every "move folder to the pool" operation I have done finishes with "Shadow copies cannot be created (enabled?)".  It's an error dialogue, but everything seems to be just fine afterwards.   Should I be worried about this?

Ron

Comments

• edited February 2012 Member
    Shadow copies are used for two things:
    1. Allowing you to go back to a previous version of a file. This works on the physical drives, but is not supported on the pool at this time.
    2. By the server backup feature to track what has changes since the last backup. This allows the server backups to be incremental instead of a full backup which takes a lot longer time.

You can check shadow copy status by remote desktoping into your server. Open my computer. Click on a physical harddrive (e.g. C:), right-click for properties and check the "Shadow copies" tab.

You can see the status of shadow copies for all drives in that tab. Enable it on all "normal" drives, but don't mess with any \\?\Vol.... stuff.

• I had a vague understanding of shadow copies, but this definitely helps.    Now that I think about it I can see why it wouldn't work on the pool.

They all seem fine on the physical drives themselves...  Good so far.

Thanks!

Ron
  • Are you saying that after we move drives to the pool we should go in and manually enable shadow copies on the physical drives that make up the pool?
  • edited February 2012 Member
    So far every "move folder to the pool" operation I have done finishes with "Shadow copies cannot be created (enabled?)".  It's an error dialogue, but everything seems to be just fine afterwards.   Should I be worried about this?

Ron

I've
    installed the latest M4 build, used the moved folder function, did each folder
    in order, and the computer backup folder , which I moved first, moved with out issue, no shadowcopy error, did the same
    for the remainder and received the shadow copy error as described by Ron for each folder, I
    checked the data on the Pool Drive under my computer, and there was a directory for each share at
    the root level on the pool, except for the computer backups, which was one
    level in under Server folders, but there were also duplicate shares for the
    other folders, i.e. pool drive/Documents, and then pool drive/Server
    Folders/Documents, so I deleted the Pool drive/Documents, Pictures, etc. the
    folders are now showing as missing on the dashboard, I recreated the folders,
    the pre-populated directory for each was pool drive/Server Folders/Documents,
    and so, on, after recreating the folder, all is well, and shadow copies was
    automatically enabled, no error message reported.

Not sure if this help anyone, but figure I'd post it

• Hey all,

I was wondering if shadow copies for pooled folders is something that might be enabled in the future?

I dont fully understand how it works, but seems like a really easy way to go back to previous states of files without having to search through loads of backups?!!

I've currently got it turned on for all my physical drives, and off on the \\?\Vol... drives - hopefully thats the correct setting to have it on?!

cheers!