Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

File last modified dates changing

edited February 2012 in DrivePool
I've noticed with my music in particular, that the last modified date in explorer is changing for files that have been there for some time. Since my music directory share is read only, I assume that this might be a result of duplication or balancing. I often use last modified date as an easy way to find my newest music. Is there any chance that Drivepool will eventually have a setting or be able to retain the original last modified date for my files?

Thanks!

Comments

• This is likely the "Retrieve additional information from the Internet" option that got added in the latest WHS 2011 rollup last week: http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/whs-2011-and-metadata/
  • Thanks for the idea. I looked and that setting is not checked. I did find that I could create new files in  the folders that have recently been modified. So I guess my share permissions have gotten off somehow. I am currently changing it to read/write and then back to read only. Hopefully this will straighten things out.
  • edited February 2012 Member

@irjason,

The point is that what got added last week in the Rollup is the ability to turn off the "Retrieve additional information from the internet".

Prior to that, the "retrieve" function was always on by default - so that has been running, unbeknownst to you, and modifiying your music files. One of the things the Rollup does is to turn the function off. But by now, any damage has already been done...

• It actually wasn't checked gcoupe. I think I had unchecked that box some time ago when I turned off the media sharing option since I don't use it. Thanks for trying to set me straight though!

What I did find was that some of the folders in my music share weren't read only even though I had set that as the permissions for my account. I realized that the folders showing as recently modified were some of the albums I had recently interacted with via Windows Explorer (either to play, or copy over to my mp3 player). I was able to create new files in these folders until I changed the rights in the server console for that share to full control then back to read only.I am not sure how the permissions got screwed up, but so far no files have been modified today!
  • @irjason - you wrote:

"It actually wasn't checked gcoupe. I think I had unchecked that box some time ago when I turned off the media sharing option since I don't use it."

Erm, prior to the Rollup, that checkbox didn't exist, so you couldn't have unchecked it. The Rollup has installed the checkbox and with it, the ability to turn the function on and off.

• edited February 2012 Member
    You're right, after I looked into it I didn't uncheck the box. But I did stop it months ago following these steps:

I noticed this shortly after upgrading to WHS 2011 since it replaced a lot of my cover art with 200x200 images... I guess that's why it wasn't checked for me in options after the rollup.

I still will keep an eye on my files. This permissions problem is troubling. Hopefully it doesn't reoccur