Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Build 1635 & 1627 crashes Dashboard

edited May 2011 in DrivePool

I have just installed the latest version, restarted server etc.

However, the dashboard is crashing everytime I load it up. I have uninstalled this and tried 1627 and the same result. When I uninstall each of these versions the dashboard loads up fine.

Gone back to 1588 and all is well.

Comments

• I would open a support request here:

http://stablebit.com/Contact
  • Request filed
  • Covecube
    I've gotten a number of bugs related to this starting from build 1627. What happened in 1627 is that the number of files being deployed changed.

Right now I suspect that some files are not being removed when you uninstall the old version from either:

C:\Program Files (x86)\StableBit\DrivePool
    or
    C:\Program Files\StableBit\DrivePool

Can someone with this problem confirm this, as I can't reproduce it in-house?

So, after the addin removal, both of the above folders should be empty (well, they shouldn't be there).
    Alex 1627 crashed the dashboard but 1635 installed fine. The Program Files folders were not there after uninstall/reboot. I have about 4-5 TB on the machine which is an EX485.
  • edited May 2011 Member

Removing build 1588 failed and the folder was still there. Manually removed it and installed 1635, however my hard drives and pooled folders arent showing up anymore and I cannot remove the install from the dashnoard or the uninstal lprograms in control panel.

Worst case is a reinstall.

Did you manually remove through program add/remove in the Control Panel, then the console will come up at which time you must remove the add-in through the console, then reboot and install the new level. Worked fine for me several times.
  • Its coming up with an error when I try to remove it from the console and the control panel :(
    Sounds like the service isn't started, try starting the service manually and see if the pooled folders come back.
    I would reboot the server, when it comes back up retry the add/Remove programs in Control Panel, if you still get an error, I would delete the both Program Files folders (x86 and regular) and the Program Data Store file under stablebit folder, then Reboot, then retry Control Panel.
  • Ok thanks will try that out and post the results. Hopefully get it fixed up so i dont have to reinstall.
  • Ok thanks will try that out and post the results. Hopefully get it fixed up so i dont have to reinstall.
  • Covecube
    Build 1648 is out to address this specific issue. The only change is code to annihilate those old files which seem to be getting left over on some systems.

It will first rename them to "*.todelete" and then try to delete them, if it can't it will schedule a delete after reboot. 

This should already be managed by the MS installer, but apparently is not working on some systems.
  • I have reformated as the dashboard would not even open anymore. Installing 1648
  • Installfine, all shared folders and hard drives showed up straight away as nothing had happened. Thumbs up to driveppol.

Cant wait for M3 :)

• edited May 2011 Member
    Not sure I have the same issue, but I recently installed DrivePool in my newly installed WHS 2011 and after using it for a day I started having problems opening tabs in the dashboard.  I cannot say for certain this is a drivepool issue except that I'd used a previous version in the past (on a Vail beta) and encountered the same issue that was not resolved until DrivePool was removed.

Basically what happens is -- when I open the dashboard and go to Computers and Backup,  Server Folders and Hard Drives, Add in  or Stablebit tabs, it says "Refreshing data" for about 5 minutes. Going to Server Settings freezes the whole darn thing.  

After five minutes the whole thing clears up and I have all my tabs. 

Any advice?
  • Covecube
    Not sure I have the same issue, but I recently installed DrivePool in my newly installed WHS 2011 and after using it for a day I started having problems opening tabs in the dashboard.  I cannot say for certain this is a drivepool issue except that I'd used a previous version in the past (on a Vail beta) and encountered the same issue that was not resolved until DrivePool was removed.

Basically what happens is -- when I open the dashboard and go to Computers and Backup,  Server Folders and Hard Drives, Add in  or Stablebit tabs, it says "Refreshing data" for about 5 minutes. Going to Server Settings freezes the whole darn thing.  

After five minutes the whole thing clears up and I have all my tabs. 

Any advice?
    DrivePool doesn't do anything in the UI except display the UI and communicate with the Service. So there is no I/O activity that it's managing or anything like that. Which should mean that there's less stuff to go wrong.

But, with that said, I've seen a single report where the DrivePool UI ate up all the threads in the Dashboard and had caused what you're describing. This was probably because the service stopped responding in a timely manned and the UI kept trying to call out to it.

That issue was fixed in 1706.

If you continue to experience problems open a case @ http://stablebit.com/contact

You might want to look at Thread properties using Process Explorer.

It should look something like this: http://prntscr.com/20oe2

If the count is much larger then it will be a problem.