Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

We ready for a RC?

edited March 2012 in DrivePool

Alex,

Noticed that the website is changing... are we ready to rock a Release Candidate?  YIPPY!!!

Comments

I don't have this option in v5843.  This screen shot say v5842

• This is great news.  I have been tracking progress for Drive Pool since the beginning.
  • rvcrvc
    When will the licensing fee be announced?
    Is the fee going to be appropriate relative to a $45-47 retail for WHS2011?
  • When will the licensing fee be announced?
    Drivepool is worth as much as WHS itself to me.
  • edited March 2012 Member
    WHS 2011 has been massively discounted by Microsoft, to the point that (in the UK at least) it's well under half the price of the cheapest OEM Windows 7 license, a bizarre anomaly in the Windows pricing structure.

IMHO the reason for this is simple: there has been low user uptake and manufacturer adoption of the product as a direct result of the demise of DE (drive extender). MS want to keep the product line and associated community/ecosystem (add-in development etc) alive in the interim before the equivalent Windows 8 Storage Spaces based home server product comes out, which as a complete guess will probably be no earlier than about end 2013. DE was the killer feature of WHS v1 and almost no-one will upgrade to 2011 without a suitable replacement for DE.

So, pricing wise I would pay in the same price range as WHS 2011 itself assuming that the known significant issues get fixed (client backups seems to be the main one).

However, I'd really like to see some kind of bundle deal with Scanner, which is also an awesome product. It would be even better if those of us who have already bought Scanner could just pay the difference on the bundle deal :-)
    Not really, without WHS2011 there isn't a demand for Drivepool.
    Yes really, WHS 2011 is useless to me with drivepool.  I have 24TB of data right now.
    Yes really, WHS 2011 is useless to me with drivepool.  I have 24TB of data right now.
    I don't have quite 24TB but I do have around 18TB.  Removing DE from WHS2011 was dumb for Microsoft but it was a great opportunity for Alex.

I am rooting for him to succeed and I cannot wait to deploy his released results.
  • rvcrvc

Based on the time/work invested, I'm sure that Drivepool is worth significantly more than WHS to Alex.

Based on the relative number of lines of code in Drivepool compared to WHS2011, it's not worth 5 bucks.

But if pricing is based on demand and it's overpriced, Drivepool will die a slow and painful death.

And if it's underpriced, it should start a firestorm under WHS2011.

• Resident Guru
    I wonder if there will be any special prices for people that beta tested?
  • You can buy it right now for $19.95

Already purchased my license.
  • Resident Guru
    Buying it right now :)
    Only $10 if you already purchased Stablebit Scanner.
    Purchased, I'm glad to be able to spend my money now to buy this and support Alex, brilliant!
  • Just purchased as well. Thank you for giving discount to existing StableBit scanner owners.
  • I'm in for $20,  going to do a complete refresh this weekend, maybe I can finally replace my HP MSS. 

• Where to purchase?
  • Never-mind.....
  • I bought Scanner and Drivepool!  Long live Alex! :)
  • I'm all in for 2 X License. From what I've seen of the BETA it was a long wait, but well worth it. THANKS ALEX , for all your hard work. :)
  • Wow, $20? Their closest competitor is $40 and they don't have any discounts available. Since I own scanner I get it for $10.

Just wow, thank you Alex!
  • I am a double StableBit owner now as well.   Bravo, Alex!!
  • $20.. That is ludicrously cheap. WHS2011 is now a useable product with DrivePool installed . Shame there is no donate button anywhere. I could buy two licences even though i only need one. But the donate button would allow people to show gratitude for all the hard work that has been done. That way Alex would hopefully know that we all really appreciate all the effort put in.

Congratulations Alex, great product. Oh and also thanks to everyone, especially Shane for all the advice and help given in the forums.

:)
  • $20.. That is ludicrously cheap. WHS2011 is now a useable product with DrivePool installed . Shame there is no donate button anywhere. I could buy two licences even though i only need one. But the donate button would allow people to show gratitude for all the hard work that has been done. That way Alex would hopefully know that we all really appreciate all the effort put in.

Congratulations Alex, great product. Oh and also thanks to everyone, especially Shane for all the advice and help given in the forums. :)
    Absolutely!  I purchased drivepool for the full price even though I already had Scanner.
  • Purchased both Scanner and Drivepool as well.

I did have some issues getting Scanner to avtivate as I had used the beta before and it was "your license cannot be activated". This was the fix for me from Alex below.

If you're not, then you can:
    • Follow these instructions to reset the license:
      http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_License_Reset 
    • -- OR --
    • Log into the server using remote desktop as Administrator and delete everything in:
      C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner\Service\Store

Then restart the server (or the StableBit Scanner service)

This will reset everything to the defaults.
  • Cheers and thanks to Alex and the entire community who rally their support.   As is being said, an RC version of DrivePool puts WHS into the usable, recommendable product category that it teetered away from when DE was yanked out of it.   I suffered through months of teeth-gnashing WHS software RAID issues before finding DrivePool last month.  No more circling the drain!   This product (and its new web presence, as things are shaping up this week), are pure software elegance.
  • pure software elegance.

What a great and apt choice of words
    :)