Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Storage Spaces

edited March 2012 in DrivePool
Interesting article on current status of Storage Spaces in Windows 8 
http://thedocsworld.net/storage-spaces-the-verdict-for-now/

I'm happily sticking w/ Drivepool for now (Just purchased it) and looking forward to the RC.

Comments

• The author of that article glossed over the many benefits of Storage Spaces over a RAID 5 implementation. I think this is a better representation of what Storage Spaces will be: 

• I agree that Storage Spaces is worth keeping an eye on - performance will probably improve over the beta lifecycle (just like DrivePool) and the advantages of low cost and ease of use will attract many users who rightly fear the complexity and inflexibility of RAID.

My guess is that MS will bring out a new version of WHS based on the Win 8 Server kernel, highlighting the Storage Spaces feature, but probably not until around end 2013 / early 2014 as their focus will be on the mainstream desktop, tablet and server versions of windows. I would also guess that Storage Spaces won't be a feature of the "home" version of Windows client - if true then most home users will have to wait for the new WHS to get Storage Spaces at a reasonable price.

Another interesting possibility is an ARM-based version of WHS, which would provide a nice low-power option. However this would probably push the timescales back even further, unless MS decides to release on x64 first then ARM later on.

I'm very happy to have paid a very reasonable price for DrivePool now.