Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

BSOD. Is this really ready?

edited March 2012 in DrivePool
Well not very happy. I waited for this to be released and installed with excitment. Only to find it slow and then after a day my server had a bsod. Now it wont boot. Off to do a rebuild, thanks.

Comments

• Haven't had many issues in the 6 (or so) months I've been using it.  It's close to ready.
  • Well not very happy. I waited for this to be released and installed with excitment. Only to find it slow and then after a day my server had a bsod. Now it wont boot. Off to do a rebuild, thanks.

So why rebuild? About 25 minutes to do a server restore from built in backup. :)
  • None of your issues seem remotely connected to DP. What exactly is slow?

I have never, in my 6 months of beta testing this software have I ever received a blue screen.
  • Slow !

I stream BD rips to 6 different rooms while accessing the server from 2 more computer's and transferring another 300gb of rips to a 24 tb pool without any stutter I would hardly call that slow I also have to say having being a beta tester since m2 I have never had a blue screen.

And why the rebuild it takes about 20 mins to reinstall. With the pool intact may I add
  • Resident Guru
    @afk16654, if it appears to be a DrivePool issue, can you send the memory dump to Alex?

Thanks.
  • In the very early days of beta testing I had a BSOD. This was right back at the beginning of Alex's dive pool project. Since then there have been no BSOD's to be seen on my server.

Stablebit drivepool does not interfere with your system partition, so even if it was the cause your "BSOD", which I suspect is doubtful, it should not have stopped your server booting again. It is more likely that you have been bitten by a WHS 2011 foible rather than drivepool problem.

As others have said, just perform a system restore with the data disk's disconnected. It's a lot easier and quicker than rebuilding. You have been doing system backups haven't you?

Dave

Are you sure it was drive pool that caused your issue? Can you list some other details that might help Alex debug the issue? I dont think I have seen a BSOD post yet. Could you have had a bad drive to begin with? Did you chech your drives before you installed? There are several apps online that will parse your memory dump.
  • Resident Guru
    While it is anecdotally unlikely that DP caused the BSOD, we personally can't know for sure; it's better to simply ask for the memory dump.
  • edited March 2012 Resident Guru
    I find it funny how people are so quick to jump the gun without proper investigation...BSOD can be caused by many things...only memory dump can really tell what happened 
  • TBH honest I bought one of these
    http://mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8066

Got a HP Home Server get one Bought NOW

Saved my bott when mind BSOD and a friends X510 when it wouldn't boot due to failed windows update !!

Buy one now !

Blue