Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Missing Tabs, Graphs, and Method to... Duplicate.

edited March 2012 in DrivePool
Greetings All,

Okay, I've down loaded the Beta and installed. Version reads 1.0.0.5870 [BETA M4].

I was able to add all my drives, including the D drive into the pool with no problems.

Under the “Server Folders and Hard Drives” I simply right clicked and added each drive to the pool… makes since.

I now also have a drive “I” reporting the capacity and free space made up from the drives pooled.

The above part was very simply and straight forward. Therefore, I would think the design/look/feel would continue with other configurations, such as duplication.

I can NOT find an option to turn on/off folder duplication. From the dashboard with "Server Folders and Hard Drives" selected, the "Server Folders" (tab) selected... I've tried right clicking folders for a context sensitive menu to duplicate but have found nothing. I have columns for Status, Pooled, and Duplicated... but can NOT find a method/option to enable.

I can NOT find a method to access the files on drive “I”.

Windows Explorer reports drive "I" and capacity correctly; however, when I open the folder it reports as empty.

Some screen captures I’ve seen indicate there is also tabs on the top row (left-side) when selecting the “StableBit DrivePool” Dashboard icon. I see nothing but white space on the left and the right side with the normal Critical/Warning/Info icons along with Server Settings, and the Help icon. Below that I see DrivePool with an icon stack of drives I:\, the number of drives in the pool > Add/Remove Disks, > Settings… to the far right I see text with x.x TB Total and Free space reported.

All the empty space would indicate maybe a graph or pie chart should be there.

Am I missing something here…?

Hopefully this is an easy roll-back or fail forward.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited March 2012 Resident Guru
    Normally, yes, on the Dashboard, under "Server Folders and Hard Drives", tab "Server Folders", you would indeed either left-click a folder name that is in the pool to see "Change duplication" available as a task on the far right, or right-click to see "Change duplication" available as a context menu option.

Hmm... you've added the drives you want to the pool. You don't mention if you also added the folders you want?

(bad car analogy: the drives are the bitumen the road - your pool - is made of, the folders are the lanes painted on the road to keep the cars - your files - where they're supposed to be)

Left-click on a folder, e.g. your Documents folder, and from the Tasks list choose "Move the folder" and move it to your new pooled drive ("I" in your case).
  • Resident Guru
    (had to edit my previous post, oops)
  • edited March 2012 Member
    Shane,

I did add the drives to the pool.  I did NOT add any folders as I couldn't find a method to select to add the folders.  I'm in the process of moving a folder now to the Pool (Drive "I").  The files are now showing up within Windows Explorer now for the Drive I mapping.

Since it appears something hasn't worked properly... am I running at a higher risk oh having issues in the future if I encounter a failure and have to replace a disk?  Rebuild the box?

Folder move not done yet... will check when completed to see if I have a duplicate option.

Chad
    While I'm waiting for the move...

I guess what I find really odd is; all the drives that I've made a part of the pool - also contain all the folders of data.  Intuitively the initial move of the drive to the pool would also indicate the folders are now also a part of the pool.  Therefore, all I should have to do is select duplicate and the algorithm would spread the files accordingly.

So, in the future, am I going to have multiple drive letters that I do nothing with... if all my data resides on the pool?
    Alright folder was moved to the "I" Drive.  Right click on the folder provided an option to duplicate.

Some Errors were reported... not sure where to find those yet.
    Additionally, reported shadow copy were not available.

So, is this the normal process?  Each user will have to first add the drives to the pool.  Followed by adding/moving each folder into their pooled drive letter?  Anything else I need to watch-out for?  What happens if I decided to roll-back and try a new clean install of the OS... will I have to retrace all these changes to get back to a fresh OS install and to acquire a Drive Pool install w/o errors and one I feel high confidence in for months/years to come?

• Hi cheat

Once your pool has been set up if you had to do a new install of whs and reinstall drive pool it would pick all your folders and files up with no need to mess around. I know this because I have tried it with about 17 tb of data on a 24 tb pool as for shadow copy's drivepool has never supported shadow copy's.

Also just to verify I am sure you all ready know anything you add to the pool is balanced over the drives as the pool see's fit when duplication is on another copy of the files will be placed on a different hard drive within the pool just in case there is a hard failure this is as good as it gets for backups however there are many program's out crash plan one of them that would back up your entire pool should the worst happen depends how much you need to backup and how much money your willing to spend

Hope it helps
  • Resident Guru
    The beta wiki used to have a simple diagram of DrivePool, but it's gone - and is out of date in any case.

I will create a new diagram for the release version and post it here. I hope it gives you a better "mental mud-map" of how DrivePool works.
  • Resident Guru
    Made some minor edits to the diagram.