Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Location of files in the pool

edited March 2012 in DrivePool
Hello everybody,

I'm just trying DP before buying it and I have a question concerning the location of the files in the pool.
I have a WHS v1 without duplicated files for my films. I record TV by satellite (.ts format) and then transform all to DVD format (Multilingual + subtitles). So, I have a directory structure with two folders : AUDIO_ts and VIDEO_ts.
I put all on my WHS v1 server and it appears that all the .vob files in the VIDEO_ts are on the same hard disk (I've got 3 hdd in this server)

I make a try with DP and my new WHS 2011 server (2 HDD) and the .vob files are spread on the 2 HDD.

So, now the questions :
Is there any possibility to do not spread these files ? This means one film is on one disk.
What about the time access and quality streaming if the vob files are not on the same disk ?

For info, I do not duplicate on the server because I backup my homeserver on a Synology NAS 1010+

Thanks for your help !

Comments

• You can't control how DP spreads the files out, DP uses intelligent distribution and balancing algorithms to do this.

However, I'm not sure why you would want to do this. When you access the folders through the proper method (i.e. through the shared folders on the virtual pool drive, NOT via the PoolPart.* folders you might find on the individual drives), all folders and files appear as if they were on a single drive.

As to performance, this distribution makes the server faster, not slower. By distributing files across multiple disks, the server can access multiple files simultaneously. Also note that all media streamers have a forward buffer to prevent stuttering as they switch to the next VOB file. I use VIDEO_TS structures for my DVDs, stored on a pooled folder with DP on WHS 2011, and streaming is always seamless. 
    Ok, thanks.

The reason is that if one disk scratches, then I only have to recover the missing films. If the files are spread on the HDD then missing one disk means reinstall all the films from the NAS to the server... wich can be long.

BUT, I made a new test today and it seems that WHS V1 spread also the files on multiple disk  O_o

I think I found the key : at the beginning I used the duplication fonction of WHS v1... I had 2 disks, so all the files where on both HDDs

So :

1 - I can be stupid
    2 - thanks for your help
    3 - Buy DP as, after playing a little with it, the way of using it is like WHS V1 DE... which is Wife and Family Compliant :-)
    3 - Just have to transfert all my files and playing with this new server
  • Can i just add that if u are to have any issues, which as datageek says is unlikely. You could always convert to ISO files with Imgburn or similar. Especially as there is now an add in for WHS2011 that deals with ISO files
    I'll take a look for Iso. The actual choice was made when the iso format caused more problems than having directories with DVD structure.

Have to test if the software on my ipad device can read Iso files.

Other possibility : convert them in mkv format... just for about 400 films, or more, my wife is in charge of this collection ;-) 
    So i'm transferring datas from my WHS 1

1 - assembling the WHS 2011 with  2 x 2 To data HDD
    2 - mounting the 3 HDD of my WHS V1 in the new one
    3 - using explorer and just "drag and drop" files to the disk "DrivePool"

I made a test with spread files and the 'merge directories' fonction when you drag directories which already exit seems to work well with the "DrivePool".
  • I plan on storing all of my movies to a disk outside of the pool and keeping them backed up to an external hard drive.  Once the disk is full I don't see myself changing the contents that much, so the backup drive can be stored in a safe place.  I know which movies are on which drive via the collection number.  If the drive ever dies, all I need to do is replace it with the backup and buy a new drive to backup to.
    I already had 4 drives (4.5T in total) with a lot of files. I had them with 3T of content in a few seconds to DrivePool.

I just added the Drivers to the pool and them went to each drive and move the folders to the hidden DrivePool folder that was created. After doing it for the 4 drives, went to the DrivePool Drive and the files where all there! :)
    Instead of hours the took 1-2 minutes!!!