Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Losing ServerFolder Shares After Reboot

edited March 2012 in DrivePool
I read another thread here with this same problem, but the solution was to install the latest version that provided the fix.

I installed the latest version from yesterday, but I'm have the issue of my WHS2011 default shares showing as missing after a reboot. I have four 2TB drives pooled into a single drive. The pool drive has \ServerFolders\"Default Shares". I have everything mapped and working well until I reboot. Then everything goes missing and I have to fix each share.

If I could get this solved I will probably buy the program. Otherwise I'll have to go with something else. I think FlexRAID solves this by having a separate option to map pooled network drives that get remapped at startup. I'm not seeing what my problem is or how to correct it.

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Where you going from M3 to M4? Because i know few people had left over code from M3 which was causing the issue after upgrade. Im running DP with Flexraid(snapshot only cuz pooling is just not stable enough for my liking) and i had the issue but after an update it fix itself. I would contact support(Alex)..im sure he can fix you up :)
  • This was a fresh install, never used this program prior to yesterday.
  • Resident Guru
    (1) Can you explain what you mean by "have everything mapped" - are you mapping network drives?

(2) Does the problem re-occur each time you re-boot?

If yes to #2, I think just go ahead and contact Alex directly at http://stablebit.com/contact with the details.
  • 1. I mean on the dashboard all the shares are linked to a folder.  After reboot they are shown as missing, except for the Client Computer Backups folder.  So I have to remap the missing shares using the recreate missing share option.

2. Yes, every time.

Last night I removed all my drives from the pool, uninstalled the program, and deleted any trace of the program on the HDDs (hidden folders, program data, program files).  Then I reinstalled it and added my four drives one by one.  However, I did cheat and went to each local HDD and moved its contents into the PoolPart.* folders on each drive instead of moving them from the HDD to the mapped pool.
  • I had similar problems in the old "M3" days. Was related to my disks being "dynamic" instead of basic (check your disk manager in Windows). I had to use some third-party tool to convert them back.
  • I converted them from dynamic to basic by moving all the data off of one and formatting it. The latest version of the software doesn't show dynamic discs as being available to add to the pool.
  • Resident Guru
    Did the clean re-install help, or still the same problem?
  • Same problem.
  • Just an update...  I wiped out my WHS 2011 install and reinstalled it from scratch.  DrivePool now maintains the folders during reboot.  Not sure what the problem was, but it is gone now.
  • I've had the same exact problem. I think the issue is that when a drive is added, it assumes the next logical drive letter, such as G:\. In my case, G:\ currently refers to the DrivePool, so all of the mapped folders now show up as missing. It would be nice if you could define the drive letter that will be used by the Pool, or if DrivePool was smart enough to figure it out on it's own. I've had this problem every time I've added a drive as I've migrated my date from my old HP WHS to the new HP MicroServer. I had the problem on a fresh install and while it appears that a reinstall fixed it for Bryan, I'm not about to migrate 5TB of data again.
  • edited March 2012 Member
    For Giggles, I changed the drive letter of my pool, My original letter was G as well, I changed it to P, for Pool clever,right, anyway, and your correct all my folders went missing, rebooted, went into the dash board, reconnected the default WHS share folders,  went into the drive pool using windows explorer, turned on sharing under the properties, check access for everyone under permissions, when back to the dashboard, and had stable bit re-measured the drive pool on the stablebit tab., and vola, all the share folders are back, did a reboot, and everything is still there.  I'm still in the testing phase, I'm running with a boot drive, and then 2 2tb drives in the pool with about 2tb's of total data in the pool.  Everything seems to be running fine.