Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Boxee Box and DrivePool shares not working

13»

Comments

• Just tried 5417 and as per earlier post no change in behaviour for Dune (many empty folders) and Control4  
  • Also just tried the new buils also haveing same problem as Smith more lited hoever there are duplicated up to 4x

but it looks like where on the right track also re-tested the client backups mine still fail at 32% if the backup folder is on the pool

• I'm running now the 5417 it looks like I can see now all files (+ some doublications) if I turn off the read striping option.

If I remember it correctly, I had to do this also on die M3.

Maybe someone with a boxee could/should try it.

• Upgraded from 5410 to 5417. Same problems on the boxee as with 5410. Everything does list but getting double,triple, and quadruple duplicates of folders at random. 
  • Just an update - even with 5421, my initial optimism seems to have been misplaced. I'm now only getting a listing of about 330 of my 500 folders, despite at one point having them all showing after a clean install.
  • Just tried 5452 and still having the problem. Recognised maybe another couple of files.

I have 438 directories each with about 10 files in them - a large video file and associate mymovies files. Control4 and the Dune see all the directories but only see files in over half but less than 2/3rds of them - I think it is binary in the sense that a subdirectory shows all 10 files or none of them but I have not checked every directory.

The pool is spread across 7 drives.
  • 5452 has fixed the directory listing now on my Boxee Box. Thanks Alex!
  • Covecube
    Update:

I've discovered that boxee and other devices based on SAMBA, and even software not based on SAMBA, seems to trigger some undocumented logic in NTFS's directory listing algorithm. In fact, the call that Windows was passing down to DrivePool was supposed to be illegal.

It turns out that this type of "indexed query" is actually required.

Build 5452 added this support and this should resolve all the boxee issues.

Don't forget to reboot the server after installing, and reboot the boxee too (I've noticed that it caches directory listings in some form).

If it keeps happening with 5452+, send me a note via. stablebit.com/contact
  • edited March 2012 Member
    My issue appears to be fairly similar to the ones here, although not with the same media players.
    I have a Win7 PC running MediaPortal 1.2.1 and the Moving Pictures plugin.
    Everything was running fine under M3. I recently updated to M4 (5843). Everything appeared to continue normally.
    What I've now discovered is that new files added to the pool share on WHS cannot be read by the media scanner in Moving Pictures. The relevant line from the scanner log is:

Fatal [       MovieImporter]: Unhandled error in MediaScanner. System.IO.IOException: The directory name is invalid.

I've tried a number of things to work out where it's gone wrong. In the end, much like many posts here have found, if the share is in the pool, the scanner cannot read it. If the share is outside of the pool, everything works normally.
    The files that had been scanned and are in the database from before the upgrade still play and behave normally.
    I'm not sure if the current link to the purchased product is any different to the build I'm running, or if the issue has been fixed or not.
  • eeknz,

The network share and operations on it are handled by the OS not Moving Pictures.  Can you confirm that from windows explorer your movie files are accessible.

I run MediaPortal 1.2.2 and the latest plugins and I have no issues.