Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

New to DrivePool, Dashboard painfully slow

edited March 2012 in DrivePool

I've had my homebuilt WHS 2011 for a couple months, working fine, 6 clients, everything fine. I bought and installed DrivePool, latest version. Now the dashboard seems really, really slow and sort of hangs for minutes on end.

I created a pool from 3 2TB drives, D:\ not in pool. I moves all server folders to the pool and enabled duplication. I waited a day or so for everything to settle down, but the Dashboard is still way slow. I'm thinking of removing one drive from the pool, putting the server folders back on that drive, and removing the other two and uninstalling. Unless someone here can tell me what might be up, and what I might do, that's going to have to be my path. I am getting a little scared here that I might lose stuff.

Perhaps I should have added two drives to the pool, let it sit for a couple days, then moved the server folders. Or..........or what?

Suggestions?

Tom Hesselman

Comments

• Hi Tom

Never realy noticed the dashboard being slow then again mine has never been fast either lol tbh tho once it's setup I don't see it being a problem for you I may log into the dashboard once a month if that on that note if you have to use it a lot just leave it open

Lee
  • It's slow for me, starting and just running. Seems I have to sometimes wait 15 seconds before I can click another tab or something. My server is on a Core i5-2500 w/8GB, so not too pokey a computer. It was NOT like this before installing Drivepool.

I have removed one of the 2TB drives from the pool and moved at least the Client Backup Server Folder off the pool drive, but not much difference there. If this keeps up, I'll move all Server Folders off the pool and remove all drives from the pool. Finally uninstalling if necessary.

Is it normal for the Dashboard to slow down significantly when DrivePool is installed? If so, I just have to decide if I can live with it or not.

Tom

• My Dashboard has been painfully slow since I first installed WHS 2011 - I've just accepted it as part of the OS experience.   I've got an SSD in the wings when I get some time to reinstall along with another 4GB of RAM hoping that'll speed things up...   My guess the slowness is only tangentially related to DP (if at all).
  • I have similar setup with a I5 never installed DrivePool (waiting for a solid version) and my dashboard is slow as well, and my OS is on a SSD drive, So you would think it would be fast, not sooo.
  • Resident Guru
    I have similar setup with a I5 never installed DrivePool (waiting for a solid version) and my dashboard is slow as well, and my OS is on a SSD drive, So you would think it would be fast, not sooo.
    Waiting for a solid version? what does that mean? I have been using it for over a year now and despite the occasional bug its as solid as it gets considering its still in beta
  • My dashboard has always been slow, and DP didn't make it any worse.  It's like I'm back to WHSv1 again.  That one's console was almost unusable until I upgraded the processor, and WHS2011, has slowed things down again.  Not quite as bad, but slow.  I really don't think DP has anything to do with it.
  • I'm on a i3-2120T with 8GBs of Ram with 9.5TB of pool and my Dashboard is very responsive.  I have not seen any slowdown of my dashboard since DrivePool was installed.  I also have Home Server Smart 2012 and Advanced Admin Console installed as add-ins besides DrivePool.

I have found DrivePool to be extremely responsive and have had no issues with the software on my WHS2011.

• edited March 2012 Member
    I have similar setup with a I5 never installed DrivePool (waiting for a solid version) and my dashboard is slow as well, and my OS is on a SSD drive, So you would think it would be fast, not sooo.
    Waiting for a solid version? what does that mean? I have been using it for over a year now and despite the occasional bug its as solid as it gets considering its still in beta
    There are still bugs and people still have various issues, I have 14Tb of storage and 20 some clients that connect to it, I really don't want to chance the "shouldn't have happened" I hoping for 5% or less reduction in speed and IRON CLAD data backup, no issues what so ever. I do understand that every software has some issues otherwise we wouldnt have updates, but as for data I most certainly want to know that my data is protected at all costs and no chance for failure, so looking at forums I'm still waiting for some more bugs to be worked out. I have been watching the forums for both top DE replacements, and both still have issues, like indexing is important to me as well as speed. Just my thoughts.... FYI I do favor this program over the other, seems Alex is very proactive, but wish he would have a little more input on the forums, acknowledge issues and letting people know hes working on it, I trust in my heart he works on them anyway without saying a word but a little public relations wouldn't hurt.
  • To follow, my dashboard seems OK now. I put all three 2TB drives back in the pool and moved all the Server Folders to the pool. I enabled duplication on all. For whatever reason the Dashboard is OK now.

Must have been busy balancing and duplicating and all those types of housekeeping things!

Tom

• edited March 2012 Member

I'm running an HP Microserver N40L, and the dash board has always been slow, open the dash board from the server was taking roughly a minute and 20 seconds, with a few addins including DrivePool, I installed a fresh OS, with out any other addins, software, or what ever, and it took 40 seconds.  yeah that's right, timed it a few more times, and was more or less still around the 40 second mark,  reinstalled Drivepool, mapped all drives, waited for the indexing to complate, timed it a coupld of times and i'm at roughly 55 seconds. 

I can only assume that there are some checks that are taking place with drive pool installed, not an issue for me really, I wasn't expecting quad core performance with a passmark score of less than 1000, but I am curious what's going on in the background that takes some long,