Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Migrate data from WHS v1 drives to WHS 2011?

edited March 2012 in DrivePool
Have a whs v1 setup and want to migrate to WHS 2011 and, if possible, avoid having to copy everything off the v1 pool to then copy everything back to 2011's pool.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, should proceed as follows:
1- disable duplication
2- shut down whs v1 server
3- disconnect all existing whs v1 drives
4- connect a single, clean drive
5- start the server and boot to the whs 2011 install disk
6- install whs 2011
7- apply all updates and shut down the server
8- connect the other drives (at least one, 'pool-ready' drive as well as all the whs v1 data drives)
9- start whs 2011
10- install any needed drivers, eg- controller card, re-boot as needed
11- install the Drive Pool add-in and re-boot
12- add all 'pool-ready' drives to the pool (not the first one as it should be used for the o/s and client backups...is this correct?)
13- go in to the 'DE' folder on one of the whs v1 data drives
14- move the data to the drive pool
15- format that drive
16- add the (now 'pool-ready') drive to the pool and repeat steps 13-16 for all other whs v1 drives
17- turn on duplication

Is this right? Will all my existing data be ok? Should I turn off folder duplication on the whs v1 install before shutting down and tearing everything apart? 

Thinking this'll work but want to verify before doing anything hasty hehe

Thanks much for your guidance!
-Stefan

Comments

• Resident Guru
    You dont need to format your drives in order to add them to your pool. Make sure you turn off duplication before taking it apart so you only have 1 copy of everything. Once you install WHS 2011, you can shut down, install all your v1 drives, install DP, create your pool, Go on each drive individually and Move(not copy) your data to the pool drive.
  • Thanks saitoh183! Whew! Now I can cancel all the drive copying that's been running. 

Hope to get working on this over the weekend.

Thanks again!
    -Stefan
  • Resident Guru
    np...just remember to install WHS2011 on a clean drive since it will format it during the install(like v1)