Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Maybe we need to be able to force "balancing"

edited March 2012 in DrivePool
Beta 5905:
I have a drive (D:) that is nearly full.  So full that it can't even be defragged any more.  However, DP made it this way, and will not move some of the files over to one of the other drives.  As you can see, there's plenty of room, even though duplication is on.  I understand that DP always goes to the drive with the most space now, but what about "legacy" balances. :)  Seems like it would be handy for DP to either re-address space usage on occasion, or allow us a way to force some of the files off of a congested drive (I'm flashing back to WHSv1!).

It seems reasonable that If I poked around on the drive, identified enough files to make more room, and then deleted them from the share (to get rid of both copies) and then re-loaded them it might balance on it's own, but that's a lot of work, and I'm lazy enough to suggest an alternative. :)

Comments

• I see the same problem on my system.

Alot of space on some drives and a few that give low space warning. I built my new 2011 system, copied over all my movies (10 TB), then turned on duplication.
  • I just deleted a bunch of the files from the pool, and then restored them from backup.  DP did much better the second time around.  Just wish I didn't have to do that.

Of course on top of that, the drive had to disappear from the system while I was doing this.  Not DP's fault though.  Looks like the controller on the drive is starting to go.  If it ain't one thing, it's another. :)
    I thought that was what "re-balance" was for next to the pool condition. Never tried it though in the few days I had Drivepool.
  • If DP thinks that all is good, you won't see that re-balance option.  Mine was 100% and it was accurate, just not a reflection of the "balance". :)