Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

How-to for the total noob???

edited March 2012 in DrivePool

I've had a WHSV1 for a couple of years and it seems like its dying.  I held off on WHS2011 because of lack of DE and have been lurking here for a while waiting for the release of DrivePool.  Thanks to all of the folks and especially Alex for getting DP in great shape.

So now I'm taking the plunge and going to go with a totally new server and use DP.  My question is, "What are the recommended steps for putting this all together?"

I'm thinking:

1.  Put only 1 drive in new WHS2011 server.

2.  Do any BIOS updates

3.  Install WHS2011

4.  Do all system updates

5.  Install DP???

6.  Next steps?  Add data drives?

Any recommendations on how to set up pools for a "standard" type of WHS2011 use?

I backup 3 machines per night.  Can these go on pooled drives?

I make use of the pictures, music, video shares on my WHSV1 and would like to do the same.  I also have another PC that is on 24/7 for Windows Media Center and it records all of my TV via cablecard tuner.  I'd like to transfer my recorded TV to a drive in my WHS pool.

My new setup is going to be an HP N40L Microserver with 2X2TB drives for data and a laptop drive for my OS.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited March 2012 Member
    Your steps are exactly correct, I'm running it right now on the N40l,  I might should saying testing it right now, I'm taking baby steps.    DP is a breeze, it's the other things you need to do the the N40L, if you want ACHI on the 5(optical) and 6 (esata) ports follow these steps, http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/20782-enable-ahci-for-odd-and-esata-ports-bios-mod/, not as hard as it sounds would recommend you do it before installing the OS, and you know hibernation needs to be enabled as well if your going to use the  lights out add-in. powercfg -h on, and powercfg /hibernate on, you check your power states with powercfg -a,That's it.

I'm running my OS drive on port 5 in the optical bay, what did you do with the 250GB that came with the server?  I'd recommend you keep a fast drive for the OS, my box is a little sluggish opening when the dash board,  but i'm getting smart error son that drive too, just haven't had time to log a ticket with HP to get a replacement.
  • edited March 2012 Member

Hey folks;

I am new to WHS 2011 (and DrivePool). I had an HP WHS v1
    running for about 2 years which I used solely to back-up 5 in-home computers, but
    it gave up the ghost so I have built a new box for WHS 2011. I installed a new
    1TB drive for the new server and loaded the OS on that drive. I then removed
    two known-good 1TB drives from my old WHS, formatted them and installed them
    into my new server. I then installed DP. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

By the looks of it, the new 1TB drive is used for the OS on
    C (60GB) and Client Computer Backups on D (871.4GB). The two old 1TB drives from
    my old server are E (931.5GB) and G (931.5GB). I moved E and G into my pool,
    which shows up as F (1863GB).

What I am looking for is information regarding moving server
    folders to the Pool, plus the use of the file duplication feature. Of the following
    folders listed under “Server Folders and Hard Drives” which should be moved to
    the Pool?

Client Computer Backups

Documents

Music

Pictures

Recorded TV

Videos

I have read somewhere (I wish I could find the thread now)
    that the Client Computer Backups should NOT be moved to the Pool, but I cannot
    recall the reason for this advice.

Once it has been decided which of the folders should be
    moved into the Pool, it is then a matter of figuring out which of them should
    use the file duplication feature. Are there any hard and fast rules here, or is
    this simply a matter of personal choice in that (as an example) family pictures
    that you cannot replace should be duplicated, but media such as movies that you
    have access to elsewhere need not be duplicated so as to save space?

I have read through the set-up guide for DP, but there is no
    “best practices” document that I am aware of. I consider myself reasonably technical,
    but this is a bit on the confusing side for me so I thank you in advance for
    your time and advice.

Thanks!

Scott

• edited March 2012 Resident Guru
    You should just be able to move your folders with the "Move The Folder" command via the dashboard or you can use "Add a folder to the Pool" command that is also in the dashboard (in the Server Folders Tab).if you use the Move,in the list a places your allowed to move the folder to, your Pool drive (F in your case) should appear. I recommend using the
    "Add a folder to the Pool" because Move doesnt allow you to put folder at the root of your drive(F:\).  As for duplication, yes its all a matter of what you prefer. Client Backup folder is a bit flaky for certain people...sometimes it works flawlessly from the pool and sometimes it just doesnt or stops working for a some unknown reason...
  • You should just be able to move your folders with the "Move The Folder" command via the dashboard or you can use "Add a folder to the Pool" command that is also in the dashboard (in the Server Folders Tab).if you use the Move,in the list a places your allowed to move the folder to, your Pool drive (F in your case) should appear. I recommend using the
    "Add a folder to the Pool" because Move doesnt allow you to put folder at the root of your drive(F:\).  As for duplication, yes its all a matter of what you prefer. Client Backup folder is a bit flaky for certain people...sometimes it works flawlessly from the pool and sometimes it just doesnt or stops working for a some unknown reason...
    Thanks much for your reply, saitoh183! I think I will keep the "Client Computer Backups" folder out of the pool for now and move the rest of the folders in...as well as turn on duplication for everything. I am guessing that this can all be changed up later should the desire to make changes for the sake of making changes take hold.
    ;)
  • edited April 2012 Resident Guru
    yup indeed :)