Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

HELP PLS: Files disappeared when adding folder to drive pool

edited April 2012 in DrivePool
Ok so I just got around to upgrading from WHS v1 to WHS 2011. My main reason for not upgrading was DE which DrivePool seems to take care of. So I had downloaded DrivePool a while back and installed that version on my server. I tried moving two folders. It seemed to work flawlessly but when I went to view them and their contents the files were GONE!!! All of the folder structure was there but none of the files or documents. Did DP delete them when it made the move? I turned on Duplication for the folders, will this delay them from appearing until everything is assigned? Is there any way to undo the transfer? Do I need to reboot or restart the client? I tried looking at the folders through the Dashboard, Remotely and via explorer and all of those show empty folders.

Using DP version 1.0.0.4058 Beta

Yes I should probably have grabbed the latest version before installing but I wasn't sure if I would be using it and the Trial download said beta as well so I figured what the heck, mine should be ok to get a feel for it.

Comments

• Ok so I just got around to upgrading from WHS v1 to WHS 2011. My main reason for not upgrading was DE which DrivePool seems to take care of. So I had downloaded DrivePool a while back and installed that version on my server. I tried moving two folders. It seemed to work flawlessly but when I went to view them and their contents the files were GONE!!! All of the folder structure was there but none of the files or documents. Did DP delete them when it made the move? I turned on Duplication for the folders, will this delay them from appearing until everything is assigned? Is there any way to undo the transfer? Do I need to reboot or restart the client? I tried looking at the folders through the Dashboard, Remotely and via explorer and all of those show empty folders.

Using DP version 1.0.0.4058 Beta

Yes I should probably have grabbed the latest version before installing but I wasn't sure if I would be using it and the Trial download said beta as well so I figured what the heck, mine should be ok to get a feel for it.
    Was reading more of the forums and found this post which sounded very similar to my experience:
    http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/423/panic-panic-all-my-pooled-files-have-vanished

There was still no solution in that thread but it got me wondering, If I uninstall DrivePool or Remove the drives from the share should I still be able to see the files on the associated hard drives assuming the pool hasn't just deleted them?
  • Did your files vanish or were they simply moved from the original folders to the pooled drive?
  • edited April 2012 Member
    Ok, here is what I did:

I have my files on regular HDD waiting to add them to the pool. I wanted to add them using the Add Folder method (default one from WHS). So I added the folder. Then I moved it from the non pooled section in Drive Pool to the Pooled section. A confirmation came up and said everything went smoothly. When I opened the folder in both the Shared Folders Tab and the Drive Pool Tab, the files were gone. I just did another test folder to double check the method I used and it did the same thing. The files were there when I added it using the WHS Add Folder but when I moved it to Drive Pool they disappeared. I was looking through the log and things seem to be fine but I don't know the inner workings of DP to properly match the messages. I also noticed some GetFileSecurity Messages that said Error and some CreateFiles that say File not Found.
  • Resident Guru
    Draeconix, you may wish to install a program called "Everything" (www.voidtools.com) on your WHS machine to check whether it can find your files on any of the physical volumes. If it does find them, please post the path (or post that it hasn't found them)? I (usually) check the forum daily.
  • Ok I searched with Everything and it did not find any files outside or inside the storage pool. Not the ones I am looking for anyway.
  • Resident Guru
    Hmm. In the light of morning, I've just realised that 1.0.0.4058 beta (the one you installed) is a late M3 beta release from over six months ago. DrivePool's been through a major rewrite (and then some) since then.

If you desperately need the missing files (i.e. you have no backups and cannot otherwise replace them), you can open a support case with Alex via http://stablebit.com/contact and explain what happened; hopefully he can help you, but given "Everything" couldn't find it, I rather suspect some form of deleted-file-recovery software will be involved (unless some permissions have been truly mangled).

If you do have backups or can otherwise easily replace the missing files, I would suggest instead downloading the latest version from http://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Download and testing (with files you have backups of) to see if the same problem occurs. I believe we've just hit 1.0.0.5974 release. If the problem does re-occur, please immediately contact Alex via the contact link in the previous paragraph!
  • Alright, thanks for that. At first I thought I didn't have any back ups of my files so I was pretty bummed. Then I was playing with my one USB HDD and low and behold I found some older backups of most of the files. The truly important ones were there so thankfully I still have the main files I needed. I am still missing a good many though but none that are critical. I will download the new version and see what happens. Thanks for all your assistance.
  • I just tried a test folder and it seems to work. I added a folder using the built in WHS Add Folder method. Then I added it to the pool using the Add a folder to the Pool method from drive pool. It looks like it did it successfully. All the files are still there. So it seems to be working now.