Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

On M4 change virtual drive letter/

edited January 2012 in DrivePool

Is it ok to change the drive letter of the pool drive?  If so just do it in Disc Manager?

Comments

• I would like to know this as well. Thanks for asking.
  • Got any response on this one yet? I would allso like to know.
  • I just changed the drive letter and rebooted. Everything seems to work fine (except for the loss of shares on reboot, which was also there before). The pooled drive is correctly identified by Drivepool.
  • Changing the drive letter via disk management works but the shares are not updated on the dashboard.  The shares still work, just not via the dashboard.  So for now I will just wait to change this permanantly.
  • Just like it would with every other drive. I am not aware that there ist a solution to change a drive letter of a normal harddrive from the dashboard?! So you should decide at the beginning before populating the virtual drive which letter its gonna get.
  • So you should decide at the beginning before populating the virtual drive which letter its gonna get.
    You don't get that choice if you've migrated from M3 to M4
  • Right now mine is M: I'd like to make it P:

I'll wait until we have the all clear to change it manually.  I'd rather not break anything just yet and can wait.
  • Alex

Is there any answer to this if we migrated?  i would like to change mine as well

• I would also like to know how to change the pools drive letter; Should have been given an option on install!
  • edited February 2012 Member
    It is safe. but the dashboard says, there are no shares.

solution:
    close dashboard if open
    change the drive letter in the console
    open dashboard
    readd all pooled folders with the new location, as if you want to add a new folder. Note: non-default shares are not listed, if the old location is missing.
    for default folders like clientbackups, videos, music, etc. is a separate button, to move/recreate it. recreate it at the new location. that is working.

thats the normal procedure of the whs, if shared folder are missing in the old location.

For me this worked.
    if you want to be absolutly secure, i recommend to move clientbackups to a normal disk, then unshare all folders, and then follow the guide above. then move it back to the new volume.

one note at the end, science build 5635 you can rename your Drivepool volume. i call it DrivePool ;-)
  • I would think the safest thing would be for DrivePool to assign the pool to the last available letter (usually Z) by default, since that rules out any possibility of the pool drive letter getting 'bumped' by the addition/removal of physical drives.  Windows usually follows this behavior when you map network drives within Explorer.

That said, a wizard for changing the pool drive letter, remapping the shared folders, and syncing everything with the Dashboard would be a very nice thing to have.  :)

• Alex

Can you add an option under settings to checnge this drive letter?

• edited April 2012 Member

I've changed the drive pool letter, and the instructions for getting everything back working can be found in the "Reinstallation of WHS 2011 Pointers".  see the instructions provided by dvdluvver,Same procedure for remaping the default WHS shares and resharing the user created shares.

would be great if a) you are able to chose the drive letter when installing drivepool,  or  b) make a point to change the drive letter of pool before adding any shares. 

• Hi!   I changed the drivepool letter after installing DP, but before reconnecting all my drives.  No problems whatsoever.  I just changed it as if it were a normal drive through "Disk Management".