Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Replacing a drive in the pool

edited May 2012 in DrivePool

I have a pool of 3 drives in my N40L prolient microserver.  One of the drives has degraded due to 5 sector replacements identified in SMART.  I would like to take this drive out of the pool but I would have to use a USB drive dock to temporaly house the new drive.

So the process would look like this:

1. Add new drive to system via USB drive dock
  2. Add new drive in dock to the pool
  3. Remove bad drive from the pool
  4. Uninstall drive from server and replace with drive from dock

Would this work going from a USB/ATA bridge drive to internal?  Would it matter to drive pool if the interface changes?

Thanks....

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Hi Ron, yes this would work and no it doesn't matter to DrivePool. So long as WHS can still see it as a local drive, the pool is happy. :)

Thanks Shane,  I will try this over next few days.  Since the drive that is degraded is a 2 TB drive and is about 80% full its going to take some time for DrivePool to migrate the files away from this disk to the docked drive which is on a USB 2.0 port.