Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

WHS2011, DrivePool and Media library

edited June 2012 in DrivePool

I have an issue with some media clients (Android). The Issue is that medias (music, photos, etc) is shown as existing on different drives (d:, e:, f: and h:). The fun part of this is that drive "h:" is the virtual driv pool. It does seem like no single file is on two drives.

What can i do to make the physical drives invisible and make the "h" drive contain all the files?

BR Steen

Comments

• Hi steen,

To remove the drive letters, do the following:
    1. Open Server Manager from the shortcut next to your Start button on your WHS
    2. Choose Disk Management under Storage in the left pane
    3. Right-click the drive and select Change Drive Letter
    4. Click Remove and then answer Yes to both dialog boxes

Hmmmmm - sounds like a bit dangereous, with the possibility of an irreversible change.

Can anyone else please confirm that it is the procedure?

BR Steen

OtisPresley - it is not because I do not trust you - I'm just a bit scarred :-)

• Resident Guru
    Yes, that's the correct procedure. DrivePool does not require drives in the pool to have assigned letters; it functions just as well without them.

Obviously, don't remove a drive's letter if anything else needs to access it. WHS definitely expects C: drive and maybe also D: drive, but if all of the default WHS shares have been moved off D: drive first you're probably alright with removing its letter. If it doesn't work you can put it back the same way - but definitely do NOT touch the C: drive.

By the way, I presume the media clients are getting their info from an application you've installed on the server? Otherwise I don't see how they could know what's on unshared drives (unless you've shared those drives). Does that application allow you to alter what drives/folders it scans?
    I have not installed any SW on the server in that respect. I guess it is some native media library / media server/sharing functionality build into the WHS.

Can that library some how be reset?

BR Steen
  • Resident Guru
    Hmm, for native indexes/streams/libraries there's:

WHS Media Library (WHS Dashboard, Server Settings, Media, Customize)
    (I'd look at this one first)

Media Streaming (Start button, type "Media streaming options")
    (I'm not sure if this one is different to the one above, mine's turned off even though the one above is turned on)

Libraries (Start button, type "Libraries")
    see also HomeGroups (WHS Dashboard, Server Settings, HomeGroup)
    (though given you mention Android clients I wouldn't think this would be involved, it's a Win7 thing)

Indexing (Start button, type "Indexing options")
    (though again I think not meant for Android stuff)

... can't think of any more offhand. Check if any of those are sharing your drives?