Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Newbie, doing research on drive pooling.. questions

edited October 2012 in DrivePool

I have been doing some looking around at drive pooling.  I have found FlexRaid and Drive Pool.  I have been checking out the fourms and on here I saw people talking about using FlexRaid and Drive Pool together...   I don't understand.  I thought they were two different solutions that do the same thing.  So, I guess I am asking what is the difference and why would you use both together?

David

Comments

• edited October 2012 Resident Guru
    Flexraid is 2 solutions in 1 software. Both solutions are independent. There is the Raid part and the pooling part. The Raid part allows you to protect your data from drive failure. Depending on your setup and how many disk you have, you can protect against simultaneous drive failures. The other part is pooling which does what Drivepool does. Im one of those users that uses both solution. My reason is that Drivepool pooling system is alot more stable then Flexraid version (at the time i tried it...dont know its status now) but in DP duplication requires you to have double the size of your entire pool in order to protect all your data. So i use Flexraid system to protect my data from drive failure(1 DRU failure if you know how Flexraid works) because it only requires 1 of my disk to protect my entire data.   

• I have recently migrated over from FlexRAID pooling and it has been night and day stablebit pool is so much more stable! integrates with the dashboard, I only need to set-up my shares once and they don't disappear randomly.

I do however also intend to eventually use FlexRAID for my data protection.
  • edited October 2012 Member

I have recently migrated over from FlexRAID pooling and it has been night and day stablebit pool is so much more stable! integrates with the dashboard, I only need to set-up my shares once and they don't disappear randomly.

I do however also intend to eventually use FlexRAID for my data protection.
    Good to hear.  I currently run FlexRAID on my WHS v1 system, obviously just for snapshot RAID protection. I still used folder duplication for my photos and user shares, but FlexRAID for all my huge media shares.   Am going with WHS 2011 in about a week and love what I see here with Stablebit.