Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Permissions problem...

edited January 2013 in DrivePool

Hi, I installed DrivePool and all was well. I then needed to move my data drives to another server. I used the tool provided to recreate the shares and the tool did it well. But I discovered I have permissions problems. Anyone can access any folder even they don't have access to it. I tried to reset permissions as mention in another thread, but didn't do anything. Any help would be appreciated,

Claude

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Hi, so you've done the following steps in the following order:

1. Troubleshooting tool, restore drivepool shares option.
    2. Troubleshooting tool, reset NTFS permissions option.
    3. Dashboard, changed user permissions for the shares.

And everyone still has access?
  • Yes, this is how I did it. And everyone have access even if they don't have permission to.
  • edited January 2013 Resident Guru
    Hmm. On the Server, via Explorer, go to \\SERVER (replace with name of your server) to see a list of your shares. Right-click one of the problem shares, choose "Properties", choose "Sharing", choose "Share...", if you see "Guest" or "Everyone", use the drop-down triangle next to it to choose "Remove".

If you don't see either "Guest" or "Everyone" listed... something stranger is going on.
  • Hi Shane, thanks for your help. After taking a closer look, I don't see Guest or Everyone. What I see is 2 users which are Administrators which is the Owner and Administrator with read write permissions. But going to the Security tab, I can see Everyone. Looking at some other shares, System is the Owner and Administrator has read write permission and the user has personalized permission which I guess comes from chosing the users I granted access to the specified share from the dashboard. So I guess some permissions are messed up for some shares.

Using the Security tab, I deleted all permissions and gave System the ownership. I then went back to the dashboard and granted access to users I wanted. Everything seems to work fine.

I have to say my WHS 2011 is in french and I'm wondering if using the tool messed up that if it's not aware of the localized versions. May be Alex can take a look into that.

Lastly, I remember when using WHS v1, I was using an add-in to move recordings to the server prior to PP3 and we had issues with permissions since the WHS was french and the add-in wasn't aware of that. I had to troubleshoot with the add-in creator to correct the issue.

Thanks again for your help,

Claude

• edited January 2013 Member

Hi, I installed DrivePool and all was well. I then needed to move my data drives to another server. I used the tool provided to recreate the shares and the tool did it well. But I discovered I have permissions problems. Anyone can access any folder even they don't have access to it. I tried to reset permissions as mention in another thread, but didn't do anything. Any help would be appreciated,

Claude
    Are you saying that you removed the drives from one whs 2011 server (server 1) and then installed them into a completely different whs 2011 server (server 2)?  Was it the same hardware, same image from server 1 as was loaded on server 2?  I'm wondering how you would migrate folder permissions from one server to another, unless you loaded the same image from WHS 2011 sever 1 on to WHS 2011 Server 2, but this would seem to only work if the hardware configs were the same. I'm curious.

If I'm understanding this correctly, Its nice to know that you can do this should you have a hardware failure and need a quick fix.  I have an HP N40l collecting dust but should my primary rig crap out, this sounds very promising for a quick repair.  Hum.
  • Yes it was different hardware. This is the nice thing of DrivePool. Take all your data drives to another server after installing DrivePool and it will rebuild the pool on the new server without losing any data.
  • That's good to know.