Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

To upgrade or not to upgrade - that is the question?

edited February 2013 in DrivePool
I am running DrivePool on WHS 2011 V1.1.6326 and I am happy with it, although WHS says there is an update available (the following releases where released after the one I am using: 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3 & 1.2.4).  I don't have a test rig and so won't be trying any beta versions like the current .3.0 series.

Is there any reason to upgrade?

I don't need new features and, from what I have read, some features I see today will change and I will have to use a number of plug-ins.  Are there sufficient bugs in my release to warrant an upgrade even if I don't need new features?

Normal rules apply: if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

PS. Sorry about the Discussion Title but today they have confirmed that the bones found under an English car park are those of King Richard III of England and, yes, I do know that the quote is from Hamlet but Shakespeare was cruel to both of them.

Comments

• Resident Guru
    You can see the list of sins remembered - ahem, bugfixes and features - ordered by version at stablebit.com/DrivePool/ChangeLog?Platform=whs2 :)

My own skim suggests there are no likely "showstoppers" for your version (except, perhaps, during drive removal), but of course do read it yourself.
  • Covecube
    I would say that if you really don't care about new features, and the current build works flawlessly for you, you may want to consider sticking with it.

However, every minor build of DrivePool features some cool and useful new features. For instance, 1.2.X introduces file evacuation and the balancing framework, which offer significant advantages over 1.1. Just today (on my personal server) I had the Scanner detect a failing disk and then DrivePool was able to evacuate all the un-duplicated files from it with no data loss at all.

The DrivePool 1.3 BETA features multiple pools, but it's a little rough right now (which will be rectified soon),

But I think the bottom line is that if you are 100% happy with what you have, then there is really no need to upgrade. There are no show stopping bugs in 1.1, so it should be perfectly fine to stick with that build.
  • Covecube
    By the way, for anyone interested, any previously released build can be downloaded here:
  • Hi Alex

I have been running Drivepool from the start. I am still running version 1.0.0.5933 Beta with no problems. I am now up to 20 TB of drive space and want to add more drives. Do you see any problem with upgrading to version  1.2.4.7266 from my version. Thanks for all the help you have given the community.

• I for 1 am sticking with 1.1.0.6326!

Works fine for me.

I did try to upgrade to 1.2 but it gave me constant Blu-screens.

Good thing I had a backup of the server!

If I find myself needing the new features, I might give upgrading another try sometime.

• Thanks Ahlitah. I will consider that. Take one step at a time