Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Duplication folder on 8 drives?

edited November 2012 in DrivePool

hi, i think duplication is that the files in the folder are on 2 drives are duplicat. i have some folder that will show me in the dashboard that this is duplicated on all on my 8 drives?

Comments

• Resident Guru
    When DrivePool duplicates a file, it will use any two of the drives in the pool - normally the two with the most free space. Let's say you have six empty 500GB drives in the pool, and a folder that is going to contain four 1GB files:

You put the first file in the pool. DP finds the first two drives with the most free space: drives #1 and #2, which now have 499GB free. The rest still have 500GB free.

You put the second file in the pool. DP finds the first two drives with the most free space: drives #3 and #4, which now have 499GB free. This leaves drives #5 and #6 still having 500GB free.

You put the third file in the pool. DP finds the first two drives with the most free space: drives #5 and #6, which now have 499GB free. All the drives now have 499GB free.

You put the fourth file in the pool. DP finds the first two drives with the most free space: drives #1 and #2, which now have 498GB free. The other four have 499GB free each.

So you end up with one folder that has its contents spread across all drives in the pool, even though each particular file in that folder only exists on two particular drives.

Does that help?
  • Yes. thank you, so i understand this now.

KR JiKo
  • I am seeing something different.
    Pool condition is 100%. I have 6 drives in the pool (2 1TB, 4 2TB)

But..
    I am seeing the same file(s) on like 3 to 4 drives in the pool.  Kinda hard to explain .. like If I have Season 1-8 of a show.. I'll see Ep1-10 on Disk 2,3,4,5  and Ep11-20 on 3,4,5,6.. this is just an example.. etc.. Checked this with multiple shows..

Is it overduplicating because there is free space ?  Are the balancers doing this ?
    Does it keep it there to ensure all drives have the same amount of free space.  Because all my drive show approx 790+-2GB free in the dashboard..

Never had any issues but just noticed this.

• Resident Guru
    That's not by design. Can you run a duplication consistency check?
  • how do i do that?  i just started using DP so dont know my way round just yet.
  • edited February 2013 Resident Guru
    To run a consistency check on your pool for WHS2011: go to the "Pool" tab of the Dashboard's "Server Folders and Hard Drives" section, select your pool drive, choose "Check duplication consistency" from the task list on the right.
  • ok I will report back that it was me.. I got confused.  What caused it was that I had S01E01.avi and then S01E02.srt, S01E03.avi S01E04.srt... etc on the disks.. so it was confusing to see when sorted A->Z by filename, and I was counting avi and srt as episodes.. ie I thought 1,2,3,4 were all episodes on the disk.

I opened a bunch of explorer windows and switch to sort by type.. and verified that all is good.. files are only duplicated on 2 drives.

Sorry for the confusion.