Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

File rebalancing and CRC checks

edited February 2013 in DrivePool
When drivepool does File Rebalancing, does it do CRC checks while copying the data to verify the integrity?  Want to make sure that before I purchase that it does everything I want it too.

Have had some bad experiences with trying to get DriveBender working over about a year, and DrivePool seems to be more stable on my system.  Have a few more tests to run, but after that going to buy the bundle of pool and scanner.. you should make some discounted bundle pricing!

Comments

• edited February 2013 Resident Guru
    There has been a discount on buying DrivePool or Scanner if you have previously bought the other (you enter your activation code for the first product you bought to get the discount on the second product), but I agree it would be nice to see the current discounts listed on the buy page.

I'll send Alex a message suggesting that and also one asking about file verification.
  • I second the request for verification.. Maybe have it like a switch that those who want can turn it on.. maybe Atom users may not want the overhead.

I had an issue with WHS1 .. tetracopy would randomly show CRC errors when copying files from my desktop to the NAS.. after lots of checking... and finally a run of memcheck .. showed I had a bad RAM stick.

I would have not caught that had I not been using tetracopy....

• I use Terracopy as well, and had it catch the same thing when trying to use a competitor before, which also doesn't work well with my system unlike DrivePool.

I just want the CRC so that I lknow that all the files that are rebalanced and duplicated are all verified, and if not, somehow the disk is flagged as dirty so that I know that something is up with my system.
  • Resident Guru
    Okay, so _currently_ DrivePool trusts Windows to report copy errors, however Alex is happy to take feature requests to add independent verification as an option - I've put in my two cents, but if this is something you really want, please make use of the "I'd like to suggest a feature or a change" option at http://stablebit.com/contact

On the discount request: if you have DrivePool or Scanner and then enter its activation code in the provided field when buying the other one, the price is discounted as if you already had a copy of the latter.

$19.95 DrivePool + $24.95 $15.00 Scanner = $34.95 instead of $44.90
    $24.95 Scanner + $19.95 $10.00 DrivePool = $34.95 instead of $44.90

So buy one, get the activation code, and use that code to get the $9.95 discount when buying the other.
  • Thanks! I bought before I read this actually, and even got the Scanner cause lately all my bootable hard disc scanners don't work on GPT 3TB hard drives which is almost all I have these days.

I will put that in as a request for an option.  I just want to verify that any balancing runs that happen at night alert me that the file balancing fails, just would let me sleep at nights.
  • edited February 2013 Member
    @dlang
    Looks like Alex has taken your request into the beta already. From the lates changelog at http://stablebit.com/DrivePool/ChangeLog?Platform=whs2

"Added a new advanced option 'DrivePool_VerifyAfterCopy'. This will perform a SHA1 verification after every file move / copy that DrivePool does in the background (e.g. drive removal, re-balance, background duplication)"
  • Covecube
    That's right,

I've gotten a feature request from Shane, and have implemented it in the latest DrivePool BETA. It's already out.

Because I thought it made a lot of sense, and that's how we roll here at Covecube :)

Enjoy,
  • That is awesome except for I am on Windows 7 x64. So will anxiously await the addition!

Can you add in the ability to make me breakfast?

• Thanks Alex.. Great Work.