Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Migrating DrivePool to new system

edited March 2013 in DrivePool
It looks like DrivePool is exactly the program I was looking for! Today most of the new hardware will arrive, the only part I will be missing is the SDD to boot from. I'll still have to move all data from my current NAS to the new system, which is going to take some time... I would like to get started with that as soon as possible.

If I use another drive to install an OS on and create a DrivePool there, will I be able to simple pick that DrivePool up once I replace that drive witht eh SSD?

Both boot drives will be using the same OS and of course the same version of DrivePool.

Comments

• edited March 2013 Resident Guru
    Unless you're doing it in some unusual way, it should work. If you're concerned, please feel free to post a step-by-step of how you plan to replace the old drive with the new SSD and I'll note any issues.
  • I don't think I'm doing something very unusual, so I guess it will work out. First I was thinking of re-installing the OS on the new disk, but the latest plan is to use Norton Ghost. That way it should all be exactly the same, so I'm confident it will work.

But I won't format the old NAS before the new one is all up and running ;)
  • Any reason why you would want to use ghost? 

The included server backup/restore works really well.

B-)
  • Mostly lack of known alternatives... the Windows backup/restore procedure hasn't proven a very reliable solution in the past, has it really changed over time? Or are you talking about a different backup/restore?
  • Resident Guru
    Might depend on the OS in question. WHS2011 is surprisingly good so long as you aren't trying to backup/restore more than 2TB.
  • Well I'm not using a proper server OS, got my hands on Windows 8 Pro for €15 and can't see me using it on my desktop system. So far it's working like a charm. Probably doesn't have all the cool features WHS offers, but it gets the job done nicely.