Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

DrivePool 2.0.0.227 installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 - Can I upgrade to Windows Server 2012?

edited May 2013 in DrivePool
Hi

I currently have a Windows 2008 R2 server with DrivePool 2.0.0.227 installed. It works like a charm, no problems. But I am considering upgrading (not a clean re-install, but upgrade) to Windows Server 2012. Does anyone know if this will cause any problems for DrivePool? Anyone tried this before?

Comments

• Covecube
    That's definitely a good question. I don't see why it wouldn't work fine. But I'm not sure.

Worst case, uninstall DrivePool before the upgrade, and then re-install (or better yet, install the 2.0.0.230 build) after the upgrade is complete.

I'll try later tonight to see if it works "in place".
  • Thanks for the feedback. I will await eagerly on your "trials" this evening then :)
  • Covecube
    It doesn't like the upgrade process. It seems to uninstall the driver, and effectively "lose" the pool. The data is intact, and I suspect that uninstalling and reinstalling it would fix this issue (will have to test that). 
    But the best bet would be to uninstall DrivePool before upgrading, then upgrade, and then install DrivePool after it's upgraded.
  • Thanks for the info. If I uninstall DrivePool, what will happen to my existing folders (and the files within) and structure that I have created in my pool? Will this magically re-appear when I reinstall DrivePool?
  • Covecube
    To answer the last question first: 
    Yes, they will reappear. 
    The pool information is stored in "alternate data streams" on the pool part folder. So when DrivePool finds that, it will recreate the pool.

In fact, you could actually pull the drives, and put them on another system, and if you install DrivePool, it would recognize the pool, no issue.

I hope that helps you.
  • edited May 2013 Member
    Thank you for the information.
    EDIT: Typo
  • For your information: I just upgraded my Windows Server 2008 R2 (Standard) installation to Windows Server 2012 (standard). First I uninstalled DrivePool (2.0.0.230), then I ran Setup for Windows Server 2012 and selected to Upgrade. Once finished I reinstalled DrivePool and like user Drashna said everything came back into place. So the bottom line here is that upgrading from Win Server 2008 R2 to Win Server 2012 works like a charm, just remember to uninstall DrivePool first, then re-install it once the upgrade is complete.