Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

The future of DrivePool

edited July 2011 in DrivePool
Now that M3 is out I think we can start looking towards the future of DrivePool, and I mean post 1.0 release. Once all the critical issues with M3 are resolved I'll be looking for the next big thing.

I'm thinking that we should set up a voting system, stackoverflow.com style, for new features that people want to see post 1.0. I'm looking for anything and everything from small features to big outlandish features that people want to see in DrivePool's future.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Sounds like an awesome plan!
  • I would agree - that way users can help direct meaningful enhancements or changes that help in the way they use the system. ;;)
  • One of the main features of DrivePool, is that it's simple and almost looks like it could be a native part of the OS. While a few bells and whistles could be appealing, don't over complicate things.  DrivePool should just be one of those things that works so well that it is considered a necessary add-on to the OS, but after that you don't give it much thought.  You could provide other tools such as S.M.A.R.T monitoring or drive repair, wire frame gui's as separate Add-On products.
  • Covecube
    One of the main features of DrivePool, is that it's simple and almost looks like it could be a native part of the OS.
    Noted. That's not by accident :)
    +1 for what Ipitman says, don't over complicate things. Extending its functionality by providing add ons or plugins is the way to go in my opinion.

Cheers,

Danee
  • only thing i would like to see is a wireframe component so you can list out the hard disks, makes it a little hard to tell what is what when you have the same type of HDD in your server a few times, hard to remember which sata port is connected to what.
  • I would like to see nightmarerambo77's wireframe as per the Disk Management addin for WHS v1, and also integration of the Stablebit Drive scanner which I found invaluable in V1 for catching a faulty drive and getting it RMAd before it showed up in the drive SMART warnings.

Again these would preferably be part of Drive Pool as separate tabs to cut down on addin clutter.

• +1 for the wireframe

• edited July 2011 Member
    I second the not overcomplicating things. What would be a good idea is to extend functionality in the form of addons on extra tabs like the AWIECO drive tab in the server folders and hard drives section. This way you can also charge for the addons on the addon :)

Ow and i also like the wireframe idea, but I see this more as a new addon and not a functionality of Drive Pool.

And one more thing, I would like to see one more column in the folders tab where it sais duplication yes or no, so you can see in the list if a folder is shared or not. Now I need to scroll thru all the shares to see if dupe is on.
  • Agree, keep it simple. Select the added functionality you are interested in developing but create them as separate add-ins. Hopefully Drivepool is developed in a manner that allows you to access it's services via your own API's which would make the support of add-ins much easier in the future.

Example, the community want function xyz, you develop and release, interest wanes or issues arise - as a core enhancement what do you do, as an add- in the choice is easy !
  • One change/addition I'd like to see:

On the DrivePool tab, the shared folders page.  There are pie charts for each folder, if you select them, but when you select nothing, there's no pie chart at all.  I'd like to see this show an overall pie chart, showing slices for each share as a whole.

• edited August 2011 Member

Hi

I have a few suggestions I would like to see.

1. The option to keep/copy the data of a drive I wish to remove of replace to the rest of the pool e.g. when I click remove drive from pool it gives the option to copy the data on that drive to the rest of the pool handy if there is a drive about to fail or you need to replace with a larger drive.

2. The option to load balance all the drives on the pool would work with the above option after a faulty drive has been replaced or upgraded this would ensure all data is spread evenly on all drives after increasing storage space or replacing a faulty drive.

3. Also I would like to see drive scanner integrated within drive pool so if it detects a drive is coming to the end of its life if would automatically copy the data on that drive to the rest of the pool and flag the drive so it can be replaced or checked out.

Drive failure is a server owners worst nightmare even with backups not all data can be backed up for instance I have over 20tb of audio and video that stream all over my house so to keep all that backed up would be very costly to say the least so a product that can do what yours can and all of the above I have mentioned would be worth its weight in gold to any server owner.

Lee

• I would like it if you could give a drive in a pool a descriptive name (as well as the device name), so it is easier to track them physically.
  • One of the main features of DrivePool, is that it's simple and almost looks like it could be a native part of the OS. While a few bells and whistles could be appealing, don't over complicate things.  DrivePool should just be one of those things that works so well that it is considered a necessary add-on to the OS, but after that you don't give it much thought.  You could provide other tools such as S.M.A.R.T monitoring or drive repair, wire frame gui's as separate Add-On products.

I think it would be a great idea to have S.M.A.R.T. monitoring and a wire fram gui and disk activity simmilar to WHS Disk Manager.
  • Looks like there's 2 distinct groups one for basic & one for bells and whistles
  • Tracking the physical disk vs the disk number & drive letter.  Wire frame was complex for me.  
  • Covecube
    Hopefully Drivepool is developed in a manner that allows you to access it's services via your own API's which would make the support of add-ins much easier in the future.  
    Actually, DrivePool has the capability to expose its services via. WMI ! This is currently disabled but it's just a flip of a switch away.

And WMI can be accessed from probably any language.

I have to agree with this in its entirety. I've been monitoring Drive Extender replacements for about a month now and everything I am reading is taking me to Drivepool. Simplicity with addon bells for more advanced users. Simplicity will get the novices such as myself and addons for more complex features will entice your more advanced users.

Anyways just my opinion. I plan on experimenting with drivepool next week sometime and may be able to give you a noob point of view. After all you will probably want to attract new users as well as advanced users.

• Covecube
    I've read all the suggestions, even if I didn't reply to you personally. I'm starting to see a common theme being requested often. Basically, a way of identifying the drives better.

I will give some thought as to how we can do this in an elegant way.

As far as putting in too much functionality, I would like to keep it simple. From my point of view, every software is different, with a different purpose, filling a different need. DrivePool fills a very specific need, and I would like it to stick to what it was designed to do.

That doesn't mean that we, or someone else, can't build add-ins to expand its functionality.

One thing that I've talked about before was exposing the pool balancing API. That way if you do want DrivePool to automatically migrate data off of a failing hard drive, well someone can write that functionality using the API. But I'm getting ahead of myself... that won't be available until a late M4 release.
  • One thing that I've talked about before was exposing the pool balancing API. That way if you do want DrivePool to automatically migrate data off of a failing hard drive, well someone can write that functionality using the API. But I'm getting ahead of myself... that won't be available until a late M4 release.

Your just teasing me now :) I would be happy to pay extra for such piece of mind