Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Can i remove drive letters from my pooled drives?

edited August 2011 in DrivePool
Ok my WHS 2011 has 8 HD's . Currently i only pool 3 of these, just  for my HD movie collection. I ocasionally RDP into my server, so what i woould like to do is hide the three pooled drives from explorer (less clutter). I know i can do that in administrative tools by removing the drive letters. But the hard drive pooling tab shows these drives with letters and am worried that it will totally screw up my pool if i remove the drive letters. Has anyone tried this or does anyone know of another way of actually hiding the pooled drives in explorer?

Comments

• edited August 2011 Member
    Yes, you can remove them.  The latest version of DP no longer uses drive letters.
  •  

Yes, you can remove them.  The latest version of DP no longer uses drive letters.

Nice one..Im just migrating data, so will give it ago when it finishes.Thanks :)
  • Not having the drive letters is fantastic.  I only have 5 drives in my pool, but I'd still rather not see the drives.
  • Without drive letter, how will you identify which physical drive is which if you need to test or replace a failing drive? 
  • Without drive letter, how will you identify which physical drive is which if you need to test or replace a failing drive? 

The drive letters can easily be added again in computer management if needed. :)
    The drive letters can easily be added again in computer management if needed. :-)

OK good.

So using the Disk management tool you can see the disk number and drive letter.  How can you simply associate the disk number with the physical drive when they are the same size and manufacturer?

I tried to track this when adding the SATA drives but I couldn't control it or track it.

I understand its not a DP problem, but it seems worth asking the folks hanging here.

;)
  • Resident Guru
    One method I use is to set the volume label to the first and last three characters of the drive's physical serial number, and put a "sticky dot" with the same string written on it next to the drive's bay.