Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Moving default shares to the pool

edited August 2011 in DrivePool
I was wondering if anyone had any luck moving the default shares over to the pool. I'd like to have everything in one spot but it doesn't seem to be an option at the moment. Anyone try it manually....?

Any info would be great!

Comments

• If you are on M3, you can move all the default shares to the pool. Just go to share properties and select location and move them to the pool. All my shares are on the pool.
  • WOW you saved me such a headache. Thank you. 

Any idea on if we can move the computer backups over too?
  • Covecube
    Not yet. We want to fix all the issues with the the regular folders before venturing into backup territory.

Don't forget, this is a beta, please have a backup.
  • Thats fair enough, i've got backups :-)
  • anyone finding that when you do move shares from default to drivepool that not all the data comes across? doesn't seem to be the same filesize and files?
  • I moved 2.5 T in a single folder and did a size compare and everything is fine. Checked several other folders with the same results.
  • edited August 2011 Member
    anyone finding that when you do move shares from default to drivepool that not all the data comes across? doesn't seem to be the same filesize and files?

Yes.

I moved most of my default shares - Videos was OK, pics was OK but the old folder was not deleted.

However Docs failed on the first subfolfder and DP thought the task was done even though there were no files in DP.  Going back into the server and manually copying files was possible. 

I can not get  anything to backup on my external hard drive. It is an external 2 TB drive, in the pool.  Everything backs up to D which is only 320 GB and fills up quickly, it is not in the pool. How do I find share properties?  Just new at this so appreciate any help.
  • I can not get  anything to backup on my external hard drive. It is an external 2 TB drive, in the pool.  Everything backs up to D which is only 320 GB and fills up quickly, it is not in the pool. How do I find share properties?  Just new at this so appreciate any help.

What are you trying to backup? The OS or the folders?

In DP you can set folders to "duplicate" and in WHS2011 you can make a server back up and thats where you can define your external drives to be used and what file or folders you want to backup from anywhere on the server. I did that for the first time yesterday on my system.

I am trying to back up my client computers running on the network.  Managed to get the server to backup to the external drive but the client computers want to back up to "D" which then fills up.  Will give your suggestion a try.  Or do I have to get a bigger internal drive?

Thank you.

• I am trying to back up my client computers running on the network.  Managed to get the server to backup to the external drive but the client computers want to back up to "D" which then fills up.  Will give your suggestion a try.  Or do I have to get a bigger internal drive?

Thank you.
    Unless you add another larger drive or define back up to the Pool via DP you will run out of space quickly with that size drive and depending on what is being backed up on the clients and how many there are. D is the WHS default location for client backups. However the backups are incremental so its not a long term problem once you have enough space. I wouldn't try to back up clients to external drives - kind of defeats the ease of nightly backups intent.