Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Correct way to include a pooled share in Server backup ????

edited August 2011 in DrivePool
Can someone help me, I want to include 1 folder from my pool in the Server backup. I can see all my drives(and the managed folders on them) but not a link to the folder I want to backup. I could go into the folders on the drives and tick the right share name on each drive but its a duplicated folder so I will get 2 or everything backed up doing it that way !

Comments

• Covecube
    You cannot backup individual folders on the pool by using the built-in WHS server backup facilities.

You can backup the entire pool by selecting all the ServerPoolPart... folders on the individual pooled drives.

If you select the individual folders like you suggest, under ServerPoolPart, then you might be missing some files at a future date. What will happen is, if some files in that folder get placed on another pooled disk that you didn't select then you would not back those up. Meaning that you would have a partial backup.

----

I know this is not part of your question, but file duplication serves as a kind of local backup for each file in a duplicated folder. The backup (duplicated) file is maintained in constant sync with the original, so there's no need for a separate backup process.

If you want to ensure that there is a backup file for every file in a pooled folder, then enable folder duplication for that folder. The backup files will be distributed in such a way, where if any single drive fails, all your files in that folder will still be accessible.
  • You cannot backup individual folders on the pool by using the built-in WHS server backup facilities.

You can backup the entire pool by selecting all the ServerPoolPart... folders on the individual pooled drives.

If you select the individual folders like you suggest, under ServerPoolPart, then you might be missing some files at a future date. What will happen is, if some files in that folder get placed on another pooled disk that you didn't select then you would not back those up. Meaning that you would have a partial backup.

----

I know this is not part of your question, but file duplication serves as a kind of local backup for each file in a duplicated folder. The backup (duplicated) file is maintained in constant sync with the original, so there's no need for a separate backup process.

If you want to ensure that there is a backup file for every file in a pooled folder, then enable folder duplication for that folder. The backup files will be distributed in such a way, where if any single drive fails, all your files in that folder will still be accessible.
    Hey alex, I was thinking about this too. If I select the serverpoolpart on each drive, I presume any newly created pooled folders will also get backed up by the server?
    Also, could this be achieved by selecting the pooled shared folder on the C drive (can't remember the exact name off the top of my head!)?
  • Covecube
    Yes. If you select all the X:\ServerPoolPart... folders then you can backup the entire pool. Note that you will essentially be making a clone of your pool, including any duplicated files.

• Alex pointed out to me in an email that although the Server Backup won't see the individual shares (yet), online backup programs like Crashplan do, so you can backup to the cloud individualm shares.
  • Thanks for the info guys.

Alex, are there any plans for this to change in future releases? At the moment, i have enough HDD space to backup the all pooled driver, duplicates and non-duplicates, but I'm sure there will be a time when I will only want to back up one copy of the duplicated data!!

For example, if I had 1TB of pooled data, and 500GB of it was duplicated, then under the current system total amount of data that would be backed up with WHS would be 1.5TB. Whereas if it only backed up one copy of each file and not both copies, then the total backup would only be 1TB. Have I explained that well enough?! I'm sure you know what I mean!!
  • Covecube
    It would be fairly difficult to make the backup work that way, but not impossible. As everything, it's a matter of time. This is not a target for M4, but perhaps in the future.
  • cool - thanks for the update Alex!