Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Home Server to SBS Essentials

edited September 2011 in DrivePool
Has anyone tried taking their drivepool from a Windows Home Server to a Windows SBS Essentials server?  I've been having some problems with my Home Server and I just went over 10 PC's so I need the extra "CAL's".  Just wanted to see if anyone had did this before.  I know drivepool is supposed to work fine with Essentials, but I haven't seen anyone talk much about it.

Thanks,

Arthur

Comments

• Well.. Got the server reloaded and all the drives hooked up.  The pool transferred over fine..  My question now would be is there a way, or maybe drivepool does this itself, to get the pool to balance out across all the drives that are connected now?

I've seen data balance across the drives on a new install, but this is a first for me - importing an existing pool of drives and adding additional after the fact...
  • Resident Guru
    For now there is only on-write balancing based on absolute (not percent) free space remaining at the time. Re-balancing (e.g after adding more drives) will be looked at later (M4 or release or post-release). See also http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/comment/706#Comment_706 and http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/comment/659#Comment_659 for Alex posts (just a sample).

Manually re-balancing the drives DIY-style is possible, but is definitely a hard-hat zone (i.e. stop all DP services; create DP's "xyz.n" folders in the appropriate places on, and move content over to, the newly pooled drives to suit your balancing preferences; restart DP services) where you don't want to make a mistake.
  • Thanks for the links, Shane.  Guess I could have did a little more research..  I think I will wait and see what happens over the coming releases.. My balancing issue isn't something that I am willing to manually manipulate the drive pool in a chance that I would lose data..  10tb would take quite a while to recoup..

Am I right in the understanding that from now on with data writes it should balance across the drives in the pool though?  The temporary drives that I used for this conversion (6x2tb) are all sitting at 91GB free, the additional/converted drives that I added to the pool after the fact (5x3tb, 9x2tb) are all currently empty..

Or would I be better off removing the current drives with data on them?  I know from past experience that about the only time that WHS v1 ever did a decent balancing was during a drive removal.. Does DrivePool following a similar logic method currently?  Seeing as how the data would be getting "copied" to the drive pool does the standard copy balancing take affect or does the system use a different method?
  • edited September 2011 Resident Guru
    "Am I right in the understanding that from now on with data writes it should balance across the drives in the pool though?"

Yes. As noted, DP will write to the drive with the most free space first, regardless of size. Given your setup, DP should therefore start filling your empty 3TB drives until they have about 2TB free each, then it will start filling across your empty 2TB drives as well.

"Does DrivePool following a similar logic method currently?  Seeing as how the data would be getting "copied" to the drive pool does the standard copy balancing take affect or does the system use a different method?"

Yes. DP should perform its usual balance-on-write routine when you remove a pooled drive. You could also trigger this routine by (1) moving files out of, then back into, the pool, or (2) by moving files from a non-duplicated pool share to a duplicated pool share - not sure about the converse, or (3) turning on duplication for a pool share, or (4) moving files from any pool share to another pool share by any method or program that prevents DP from realising that the files don't actually have to be copied.

Note that the third option has the drawback of suspending end-user access to the pool while DP updates the share, which you may not find desirable.

You may wish to use a program that verifies as it moves or copies files. One might also want to run StableBit's other nice tool, BitFlock, to check the SMART status of all of the drives, new and old, just in case.