Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Moving a file within the pool

edited December 2012 in BitFlock
Hi, When I move a large file within the pool, it re-writes the file and based on the speed, it seems to do it on the same physical drive. Why does it not just behave like a normal move.

Comments

• Resident Guru
    If you're shifting the file from one share in the pool to another share in the pool, due to the way Windows networking operates it will perform a copy operation rather than a move operation; this is not within DrivePool's control.

You can see the difference by experimenting with shifting large files:

A. First, try a move from \\server\poolshare1\subfolderX to \\server\poolshare2\subfolderY

B. Then, try a move from \\server\poolshare1\subfolderX to \\server\poolshare1\subfolderY

Method B should happen a lot faster than A.

If you want to move around a lot of files that are in two different shares, you could open Explorer on the server itself (physically or via Remote Desktop) and move files around directly within the pool drive.

If this is not what you meant, then we might need to investigate further!
  • Well that will be why then. I think I need a bit of a restructure. Thanks Shane.