Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Question on Drive Balancing

BryBry
edited January 2013 in DrivePool
If I copy a folder containing say 100 folders and 1000 files how will drive pooling handle this?
Will it split the folders/files across multiple drives?
Will it put them all onto one drive (preferred)
or is it customisable?

When using the drive re-balancing options how does this work? If I have a sub folder with 100 pictures in could these 100 pictures be scattered across numerous drives?

In short what I am getting at is when using drive pooling I want my hard disks to sleep as often as possible (I have ten) and If I have for example raw blue ray rip this can span quite a lot of files/folders and so to watch a single movie, every single drive might be spun up. I want to make sure this does not happen

Comments

• edited January 2013 Resident Guru
    Hi Bry, when writing/balancing, DrivePool chooses drives to use according to their free space available. So the short answer is it is entirely possible that you could end up with the contents of a folder split across multiple drives.

Currently, balancing cannot be customised at the folder level - I'd be pleased if someone could prove me mistaken. In the meantime, three "workarounds" that I can think of are:

#1. Store your BDs as ISO image files. DrivePool does not split individual files. Probably your best option unless you have a special need to have your BDs "unzipped".

#2. Use the multiple pools feature of DrivePool 1.3 (currently downloadable in beta) to create one or more two-drive pools just for your BD files.

#3. Turn off DrivePool's built-in nightly balancing and write your own custom script to balance the pool at the folder level (while still splitting where necessary). Definitely the hard-hat option.